MTD Tecumseh vapor lock

Old 05-16-07, 06:27 AM
Cool MTD Tecumseh vapor lock

My 15 hp Tecumseh engine runs fine till it gets very hot (30-40 minutes on hot day). Then it dies, but restarts easily after a short time. The see-thru fuel filter is obviously near empty, with bubbles, and it restarts once the filter slowly refills. I'm guessing either the filter or the fuel pump - if it has one?? I would like to cut to the chase if anyone has seen this before.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-07, 06:44 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The fuel system is going to make a big difference on whether or not you may be vapor locking. What is this Tec on? Single cyl, fuel pump or gravity rear tank or front.......
I have spent countless hours chasing a near or empty looking fuel filter, never to find it being a fuel problem.
When it quits running, try loosening the fuel cap. If no help, have a small fuel supply handy and try a small amount of fuel directly in the carb. If it still will not start then the problem is likely not fuel. Check for spark in no start condition.

Old 05-16-07, 04:24 PM
Good questions

It is a single cylinder OHC engine, with a tank in the rear. I always assumed it was just gravity fed, but I'm really not sure.

The cap has caused something similar in the past, but clearing the hole didn't seem to do the trick this time.

It restarts as soon as the fuel filter re-fills, which says to me that the fuel supply is getting choked off somehow, but only when the engine is very hot.

Old 05-16-07, 04:29 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Which is only logical and thus, why I have spent hours searching for a fuel delivery problem, without finding one. I have a funny habit of only wanting to do that once for the same lesson. If you are interested in some of the steps I learned to avoid hours of needless testing, I am willing to share...