Murray 12.5 HP 40" 44X3046

Old 05-13-07, 02:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Murray 12.5 HP 40" 44X3046

Hello everyone, I hope I have not reposted a question here, I didn't find it in my seaches. Anyways, I have a question on the blade belt for a Murray 12,5 HP 40" deck. I have the correct size belt on, but I dont think it's threaded properly, as there is still plenty of slack when I tug at it and the blades will not run when in the engage position.

I dont have any manuals, I purchased the mower from a co-worker.

Can anyone describe exactly how it needs to be threaded? Know of any illustrations online that I can access? Also, how many belt guide posts are there supposed to be at the front pully? 2 or 3?

I've tried a few different things and none work. Thanks for any suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Old 05-14-07, 12:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The belt should be so that the V part rides on the blade pulleys, and the backside (flat side) of the belt rides on the flat pulley(s). The tensioner goes on the back side of the belt if I recall correctly.

Old 05-14-07, 02:08 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Using Cheese's directions and trial and error and you still don't get it set up properly, post back the model number of the mower, which should be located under the seat. The 44X3046 is not a typical model number and did not yield any results on my Murray lookup.

Old 05-14-07, 01:47 PM
J
It's a no go on finding a model number, at least under the seat. Any other possible locations?

The V side of the belt is against the blade pullys and the drive pully (forward pully) and the backside against the tensioner (flat pully) as cheese as described. I suspect that it still needs to be looped around something else or that something has shifted out of place (though all looks good to my untrained eyes)

Thanks again for the advice, or for any further suggestions.

I'll go and push for a bit now. Ack.

J

Old 05-14-07, 02:15 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Do you have a lever seperate from the height adjustment that engages the PTO/Deck? If so you may have to contort a bit but, check to see that the idler pulley and bracket assy. is moving and pulling the belt tighter when you engage the lever.

Old 05-14-07, 09:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You do know that the belt will not be tight until you engage the blade lever, right? Had to ask to be sure.

Old 05-18-07, 04:18 PM
J
Everything mechanical looks good. Also,when its engaged there is still a lot of slack in the belt. Im thinking maybe wrong size belt.

Old belt=37x62
New belt=37x62

I did find a model number....40705X99A. Any electronic copies of the Owners manual out there?

Thanks again for your help guys!!!!

J

Old 05-18-07, 04:22 PM
J
Sorry, almost forgot...its a 40" belt that was on it and that I purchased to replace. J

Old 05-19-07, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I recall correctly from memory, it runs (as looking down from sitting in the seat) from the engine pulley to the left mandrel pulley, across the back to the right mandrel pulley, back to the inside portion of the tensioner pulley, back to the engine pulley. The lever for the engagement should have a spring on it. There should be 3 holes for the spring to go in. Put the spring in the last hole at the end of the lever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: