Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help with lawnboy

MI

05-16-07, 09:07 PM   #1  
Help with lawnboy

Its a 2 stroke old lawn boy push mower that is one of those old green ones. It always started good until yesterday it was running to fast. I shut it off for a few min and it wouldnt start. Today after about 10 pulls it started and the throttle doesnt work on it and its still running to fast and it smokes after you shut it off. Does anyone know what the broblem may be?

Sponsored Links

NY

05-17-07, 02:05 AM   #2  
Sounds like two possible issues, one would be the fact that it is older, as you say, and may be past its useful life which might explain the smoking and the other problem with overspeeding is likely due to a failed governor. Since you didn't post the ID numbers of the mower, I don't know if you have a carburetor-based governor or an internal governor, and therefore, I can't say where you need to start your diagnosis.

MI

05-17-07, 07:51 PM   #3  
The governor is a plastic wing ontop of the carb. Ill look for some #s tomorrow.

MI

05-18-07, 07:39 PM   #4  
Lawnboy numbers

Here is the #s off it. Model # 680540 and the ser. # L042C0559

NY

05-19-07, 04:09 AM   #5  
This is a '92 MY, so it's not that old, Michael! The governor spring is integral to the throttle shaft and you should remove the shaft and have a close look at the spring and spring tension collar (adjuster). Be aware that with a two-stroke if you have a crankcase air leak they will tend to run unusually well for only a short time and then seize up. Are you confident that you don't have air leakage issues?

MI

05-19-07, 08:30 PM   #6  
Im surprised its from 92, I figured it was from the 80s. Im not sure about a air leak, is it common for a air leak to just come out of nowhere?. Its never been taken apart. Tomorrow if I get the chance I'll take it apart and look at the carburator on it.

NY

05-20-07, 06:46 AM   #7  
Air leaks are not necessarily commonplace but are certainly something you need to consider and not overlook, particularly at the intake manifold gasket. While it is simple to remove the carb and have a look, you may want to remove the muffler and have a look at the condition of the piston and cylinder just to be sure it is worth making any repairs.

Search this Thread