B&T 12.5 HP detailed engine schematic re-build

Old 05-17-07, 06:41 AM
B&T 12.5 HP detailed engine schematic re-build

Hey all. I have a 12.5 Briggs and Stratton (engine Series 281707 0116-01)that had low compression 60 psi and I have taken it out and about to start to tear it down. I found a schematic online but it is a bit blurry does anyone else have some better pics of the engine breakdown? I have the head off now and about to disassemble the bottom end and take the connecting rod and piston out. I will take the cylinder in to get measured and see if it needs just a hone job or a re-bore. I don't want to touch the valves cause that needs special tools which I don't have. I will just clean up all the carbon build up.

Any tips on engine teardown that I should know about. I have re-built many 2 strokes before but 4 strokes I have not.

Thanks
Al

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-07, 07:24 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I couldn't imagine doing work on a cylinder and piston and NOT doing the valves. Briggs makes a special spring compressor (Which I am sure Puey can supply a part number for) and is the only special tool needed and its not that much. Valves are responsible for nearly half of your compression.

Old 05-26-07, 09:31 AM
Could I also get the schematics, as I am having a 60psi compression as well.

Old 05-27-07, 02:10 PM
For both of you, yes sixty pounds compression is a bit low but you may not need to even tear down the engine. It may simply be a valve clearance or burnt valve issue. Or maybe a head gasket leak. As far as the tool Azis mentioned, Briggs does provide one but most Napa stores have one that I like even better for the smaller displacement engines. It is a C-clamp style spring compressor with two size forks for different diameter valve springs. Just ask at your local Napa and they'll set you up with what you need. For repair parts though, this is a different story, Napa will sell you parts you need for this engine but I'd suggest seeing your local Briggs dealer for factory parts. I know of no online service manuals for this engine and, again, see your local Briggs dealer for such.