B&S 18.5 HP tractor engine problem

Old 05-21-07, 08:11 AM
B&S 18.5 HP tractor engine problem

I've got a 2-year old Craftsman lawn tractor with a B&S 18.5 hp engine (mod. #31P777). Yesterday while mowing it started spitting & sputtering like it was running out of gas so I killed it (yes, it has gas). After that, the only way I can get it started is to choke all the way & let it turn over for about 7 seconds. Never had to do that before. When it finally cranks, it still has what sounds like the same fuel/carb problem.

I changed the spark plug first to no avail. I'm going to try to get a new fuel filter after work today to see if that fixes it. Just wondering if these symptoms ring a bell for anyone.

Thanks,
AJ

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-07, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a carb problem or possibly a valve clearance issue. Does it smoke when it's running?

Old 05-22-07, 07:13 AM
Cheese: I think it smoked a little while cranking, but it doesn't continue to smoke while running.

I changed the fuel filter last night and here's what happened: after installing the new filter, I cranked the mower then reduced the throttle to normal. It seemed to run smooth and I thought I had fixed my problem...until I killed it. When I restarted the second time, it backfired then cranked. But then it wasn't running smooth and was doing the same sputtering as before.

I guess the next step is for me to learn how to clean the carb.

Search this Thread