Craftsman tractor won't start

Old 05-21-07, 07:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman tractor won't start

Hey Guys,

I have a 19HP Craftsman tractor (model 252560) that has been sitting for approx 5 years. I had cracked a mandrel and it sat because we moved and I didn't have use for it. Well, I have use for it now. After doing the normal stuff, new battery, new cable, new spark plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter, emptied the gas tank, it would start but only run for a second or two. I'd squirt some gas into the carb and it would run a little longer, but only until the gas burned up. I rebuilt the carb on the advice of my local shop and then it ran fine! My son & I ran it up and down the street a few times over the course of a week and it seemed to be fine.

About a week later, the mandrel came in and I made the necessary repairs to the deck and reinstalled it on the tractor. Went to start it, and all of a sudden it won't start. Will crank, but won't start. B& S engine model 42A707, type 1251. Any ideas?

Old 05-21-07, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Does it have spark?

Old 05-22-07, 08:40 AM
R
Unhappy

I don't think so. Not sure if this is an accurate test, but based on other advice I received, I pulled the plug, re-attached the sparg plug wire, and in the dark, cranked the engine looking for a spark at the plug, and nothing. I then replaced the plug and wire, touched the outside of the rubber boot with the back of my finger, cranked the engine, and I felt nothing.

I did the screwdriver test on the magnet, and it seems to be ok. I've read other postings that mentioned a bad coil, but I don't see any mention of a coil on the parts list from B&S. What is so strange is that it was running fine before the deck was re-installed.

Old 05-22-07, 09:22 AM
Not much experience but it sounds like the only thing that has changed is installing the deck. If that results in no spark could there be a pinched wire resulting in grounding somewhere or a safety switch type problem? Just throwing ideas out there.

Old 05-23-07, 07:37 PM
S
Please check the model # you posted, I went to Sears site and it appears to be incorrect. Trying to help troubleshoot it for you

Old 05-24-07, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Was the spark plug touching a metal part of the engine while you checked for spark? It needs to be, or it won't spark.

Old 06-07-07, 10:23 AM
R
Sorry guys, the model # is 917.252560.

Cheese - no, the plug was not touching anything - I was holding it with pliers - I'll try touching it to the engine and see what happens. Does it matter which part of the plug is touching?

Old 06-07-07, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yes, the threaded part of the spark plug needs to be touching (grounded) to metal.

Old 06-08-07, 10:37 AM
Z
If youre not getting spark (after you try it with puey's advice) I would guess that there might be a safety switch that thinks that the deck in engaged.

Old 06-26-07, 08:29 AM
R
OK. There is no spark when I touch the threaded part of the plug to the engine and crank it. I'm thinking maybe the armature is no good?

Also, if i engage the deck, the engine does not turn over at all - there's no response when the key is turned. So, I would guess that whatever safety switch is in there must be working correctly.

Old 06-26-07, 09:06 AM
To bypass all the safety switches, unhook the kill wire from the coil. This also prevents the key from turning off the engine.
If still no spark, your coil is bad. Of course, replace the spark plug to be sure. I always touch the thin gap metal of the spark plug to the engine to test for spark. Touching the spark plug may also be a good test, but an unpleasant one!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: