Mastercraft Lawn Tractor

Old 05-22-07, 11:50 PM
Cool Mastercraft Lawn Tractor

Looking to find parts for a Mastercraft 16HP 46" cut lawn tractor which was sold by Coast to Coast stores. It has the model number of 2821 ACR on the side below the name and under the seat another decal with the number 1183A AC. I have spent over 2 hours on the net trying to find a location for parts with no luck. I first need a mower drive belt (the mower wasn't attached when I bought it) and I also will need some front wheel and steering bushings, plus possible other parts. Like a lot of stuff sold these days, it was probably built by someone else.
Who actually made it? Where can I get parts? And just to know, how old is it?
ANY help appreciated
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-07, 02:08 AM
I don't recognize the ID numbers you have so it would be difficult for me to try to find the info you need without a clue as to the exact manufacturer. You're right about the it being built by someone else, most likely. Electrolux (AYP, Frigidaire, etc.), Murray/Noma and MTD are the likely possible manufacturers. Do you have a way to post links to pics of the machine? If I could see the mower I'm sure I'd recognize it. Post back, also, with the brand engine as well as all the ID numbers off such.

Old 05-24-07, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, Mastercraft was manufactured by MTD.

Old 05-25-07, 07:26 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I think Mastercraft was a Murray product, MTD made a Powercraft. Transmission type I think is the easiest to tell depending on the age.

Old 05-26-07, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
According to this, Mastercraft is made by MTD. I'm not sure if I've ever seen an MTD marketed under that name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTD_Products

I've also discovered that the mastercraft name mowers were sold by Canadian Tire.

Old 05-26-07, 06:45 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I recall working on a MasterKraft I thought at least, and I remember originally thinking it was MTD, but it had a 7 speed transaxle instead of the variable speed drive, and I thought that was Murray, but apparently not.

Well PowrKraft, was in the same list cheese heheh, and it is what I have been nursing for the last 5 years Only half of the model # is left on the painted on label under the seat but I have narrowed it down to a 1998 MTD 136S699G088, sold through Montgomery Wards. I got it used and kicked to the curb from the original owner after a winter outdoors with the hood off. Since it comes up I have a ? maybe someone has done some previous modifying of the steering components. It has an 18.5 HP Briggs with Hydro drive that just runs awesome as does the mower itself, just has problems goin where I want it too.
I replaced the sector gear that had lost a few teeth with another used one. The shaft from the donor would not work as the drag link is on the opposite side but the sector gear worked and now turns smoothly. I know all my bushings in the front end need replacing. I also noticed my drive belt is in bad need of replacement. Any way I put it back for now to keep up with the season, but plan to go back and replace with new if I don't come across another chassis this year.
I was wandering if there is something in the way of strengthening where the sector gear and shaft mount.
Also I now have almost zero turn radius to the right, but have to circle the section to turn left. I know part of this is due to slop in the front end bushings and the sector gear and shaft bushings, but I noticed there are other holes that line up with the stop/guide bolt that goes through the sector gear. It has always had more turn to the left than the right, and I know the shaft has been replaced before if not the sector gear also. Are these holes intentionally placed to allow changing the steering stop...? I know I have it in the same hole it came out of, but I am not sure its the original hole since it has been changed previous and not by myself.
Any thoughts appreciated. My wife said I should leave it asis to balance out all the left circles I drive on my NASCAR game LOL!

And btw, since we are on the subject of "Private Label Brands" I had a Lawn Chief which is Murray product, come through the shop and just thought is was cuter than a bug. Has a 2 speed gear box, belt driven from the engine pulley then a chain drive to a differential. It then has a lever for a variable speed pulley, "Vari Drive" system.
http://www.asis.phanfare.com/show/external/122717/145762/17662254/file.jpg

Old 05-26-07, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure about the other holes at the sector gear. I'd say try it and see what it looks like. I have had to weld up and regrind the area where the sector gear mounts on MTDs to get rid of slop in the setup, and poor meshing of the teeth.

I've seen several that had a bit tighter steer to the left than they did to the right. I figure this may be because the discharge chute is on the right, so any close cutting around trees and tight spots is going to be done with the left side. That would make a tighter turning radius on the left more practical.