Problem Stihl Trimmer

Old 05-23-07, 02:17 PM
Problem Stihl Trimmer

string trimmer starts fine and easily runs like it's supposed to for about 5 ish minutes then dies abruptly and won't start until a bit cooler. only bought in 2 yrs ago, used very little,,,sadly. No exhaust blockage, right fuel mix, gap on plug is correct but the plug was a reddish color not clear on what that means. please help. thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-07, 02:51 PM
Try losening the fuel cap.If the trimmer runs, then the fuel cap air-vent is clogged.If engine stops again check for spark B 4 engine cools again.(the coil might be going bad)

Old 05-23-07, 05:21 PM

we'll give that a try and let you know

Old 05-23-07, 05:54 PM
On most Stihl's, the cap is not vented but the fuel tank itself is. There should be a fuel line inserted into the tank and will have a breather valve outside the tank attached to this fuel line. There is no decent way to check its function well so I recommend simply replacing it. I'm in agreement that it is most likely the tank not breathing.

Old 05-24-07, 12:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd check for spark when it dies to verify if you're losing spark or not. I've run into bad coils on stihls once in a while. On the FS line of trimmers, their coils are made in Mexico, or in Germany. If I recall, the ones made in Germany are the ones that seem to go out prematurely. (that's not the way I would have predicted it).

Old 06-03-07, 01:43 PM
sorry aboout the delay in responding,,,,,

well I don't get alot of time to work on the da*n! thing but I did take the carb. off and spray "Gunk" carb cleaner through every orifice I could find. Reassembled everything (w/o any extra pieces left over) started it right up and ran like it ought to, then of course died shortly after. that wasn't it. So i left it for a couple days as I work odd hours with split days off. came back and most of the fuel had pushed itself out of the tank. Is this a sign of a non breathing cap??? and would that be the reason for not running after a bit? UUGGGHHHHH! I am not convinced that there is no spark when it dies as it will start in only a few minutes of cooling, so i will save that for just before i throw it into the creek!!!!

Old 06-04-07, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes...a non-venting cap will cause your problem as mentioned in the previous posts. This would be the most likely cause for your problem.

I wouldn't suspect a coil unless you're losing spark. I only added that info as a supplement to the existing info from the prior posts.

Search this Thread