kohler carb

Old 05-23-07, 05:22 PM
kohler carb

sears 22hp garden tractor. The fuel shutoff solenoid failed today. I find you can only buy the whole carb, and it was running fine before it failed. I took the carb off, and the bowl/shut off valve assembly came off with 4 screws.

The 'inlet' that the shut off valve plugs is long, but next to it was another inlet that was plugged with a little rubber stopper. I hooked the gas line up and found that that inlet let gas in ( seemed to be more than the other) and was controlled by the float, too. I hooked it all back up just leaving that stopper out and it runs fine at low speed but is way way too rich at high and runs rough. like way too much fuel. There is no high speed adjust according to the mfgr.

I am thinking about removing the shut off solenoid pin that sticks into the inlet with a moto tool cut off blade. I mean, if the float shuts it off, why do you need it anyway?

THe question is, would too much gas coming into the bowl make it run like that? Oh, and why are there two inlets, one long, one short ( and plugged)? and is there anyway to make it run without replacing the entire carb?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-07, 05:49 PM
Engine ID numbers please and while you're at it give us the chassis ID numbers as well. I'll say that I've yet to see a Kohler carburetor that couldn't be serviced with individual parts. But with the numbers I asked for I can do a lookup and confirm.

Old 05-23-07, 07:34 PM
numbers

CV22S type number 745534

Not sure about chassis id, but would it be the model? 917-273080 is what is in the book that came with it.

thanks

Old 05-24-07, 02:18 AM
Yes, the "917" number is the model of the chassis and the "745534" (specification number) you posted should be minus the "4", correct? If so, the carburetor rebuild kit is Kohler part number 24 757 46-S, which it sounds as though you need to soak (in a bath cleaner (I like Napa #6402)) and recondition the carburetor. And, the solenoid is Kohler part number 24 757 45-S, which it appears you need.

Old 05-24-07, 04:28 AM
correct on the type...added a 4 in there.....typing is not my forte, either.

I am going to order the things. thanks for your help.

Search this Thread