Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawnmower won't start

MI

05-24-07, 07:31 PM   #1  
lawnmower won't start

i have a murray lawnmower. got it at a yard sale about a year ago. worked all last year. this year a few cuts into the season would not start. Primed it it fired and thats it. Won't run. prime and prime and prime and it fires for a second then dies. I betting the carb. how hard is to rebuild a carb if thats the problem.

Sponsored Links

FL

05-24-07, 08:01 PM   #2  
not hard at all , get some gumout or other carb cleaner , take the gas tank and carb off , spray it well and chance are that will do it .

NY

05-25-07, 02:18 AM   #3  
Perhaps Mango's idea will work for you, but, it may not be enough. Post back with the engine make and ID numbers so we know what you have for an engine and carburetor setup.

MI

05-25-07, 02:39 PM   #4  
OK the engine is a Briggs & Stratton 5HP model 129802 type 0680-01 code 95010859 hope that helps

NY

05-25-07, 05:49 PM   #5  
You have a bowl type carburetor and is a bit more complicated to service than if you had a diaphragm type. If you have had no prior experience with carburetors it may be advisable to take the carburetor off and have a local, reputable small engine shop perform the recon for you. If you feel you can do the job, you may elect to at least buy a service manual for your series engine from a local Briggs & Stratton shop. You would need to purchase a Briggs carb kit, part number 498260, as well as a spray carb/choke cleaner to do the recon. And, depending on the severity of the filth/varnish/trash in the carburetor, once torn down, you may need to buy a bath cleaner to soak the carburetor in prior to the recon. Let me know which avenue you want to take.

MI

05-25-07, 09:14 PM   #6  
I think I will take it in. from what you described sounds like I'm over my head with this repair.

MI

05-28-07, 08:11 AM   #7  
OK Someone suggested that to make sure its the carb take a propane torch and turn it till you just hear gas. Don't light it. hold it under the air filter and and start the mower. when its running on propane move the torch away and see it if stays running. Is that safe to do

TX

05-28-07, 06:20 PM   #8  
I can't imagine it being more dangerous then priming with gasoline. Propane is not near as explosive as gasoline is and the btu content is much lower.

Be sure if you do this to do it outdoors or in a well ventilated area where there are no other sources of ignition.

Propane is heavier then air and will settle into small areas where it can be ignited by an outside source (such as the pilot light on a water heater).

MO

05-28-07, 07:12 PM   #9  
Lets not make this more complicated than necessary, before you take it somewhere and get charged a bunch of money for something you can do yourself. This may be long, but simple. If you do not have any tools go your local close out or cheapie store and buy some, you don't need expensive tools, since you have no plans to become a master mechanic just some basic stuff. Lean the mower to the side away from the carb and remove the nut from the bottom of the carb, I think it is 1/2" RH threads, remove the bowl, careful not to destroy the rubber gasket at the egde of the bowl(the inside of the bowl should be clean), now set the mower back down, if fuel starts running from the carb things are good and something tells me it will(if it has fuel in it). Now take the nut you removed that held the bowl on and check the holes in it they are probably clogged, take the carb cleaner puey suggested and using it with the straw attached blow out the gunk from the nut that held the bowl on. Now spray thru any and all little holes you have access to. Put the bowl back on(careful with the old gasket) and you are goo to go. However, if the bowl was full of varnish, go to plan B(puey61). Have a good one. Geo

05-29-07, 01:22 PM   #10  
just get you some carburetor cleaner and take the carb off and take it apart and clean it really well, the bowl nut is most likely the main jet and it has several or one very small hole in it and will need cleaned with wire, spray carb cleaner in evey hole that you finnd, be careful using compressed air when cleaning because you can blow the seat out on the needle and seat thingy, check the float by submersing it in a bowl of water, if you see bubbles it is bad and needs replaced, once everything is cleaned and checked then put it all back together and it should work.

05-29-07, 06:24 PM   #11  
Any more steps to try?

I have a Briggs and Stratton 6.75hp engine on a Troy Bilt mower. It sat for about 2 years (thought I ran it dry,). I filled it up with fresh gas and went to prime it only to find gas running out the primer.

Took the carb apart and found I hadn't run it dry. Old gas had gummed up and my float was stuck. I cleaned it all out and got the float and seed(?) working. Fired it up and it will only run with starting fluid being sprayed in the carb. Took the main screw out of the bottom of the bowl and cleaned it too. Replaced the gaskets and put it all back together. Still only runs with starter fluid being sprayed in it.

What now? I keep reading about a rebuild kit, but not sure what that entails. Would it be easier (cheaper) to just take the carb back off and have someone fix it? Or is there more I can do myself? I don't mind learning, just not sure where to go next.

Thanks.

MI

05-29-07, 07:00 PM   #12  
"just get you some carburetor cleaner and take the carb off and take it apart and clean it really well, the bowl nut is most likely the main jet and it has several or one very small hole in it and will need cleaned with wire, spray carb cleaner in evey hole that you finnd, be careful using compressed air when cleaning because you can blow the seat out on the needle and seat thingy, check the float by submersing it in a bowl of water, if you see bubbles it is bad and needs replaced, once everything is cleaned and checked then put it all back together and it should work.
i will try that as I tried to start it today would not start. so its gotton worse just sitting with a full tank.I will try and check that nut

MI

07-05-07, 03:43 AM   #13  
UPDATE I took the carb off and cleaned it and it works. runs faster now too

06-29-09, 07:11 PM   #14  
Help my yardman briggs&stratton not touched for 5 years

Guys,

I have not touched my yardman briggs&stratton lawn mower for 5 years, and when I put fresh gas, and primed her, no luck in getting her to purrrr.

model: 129802
type : 0626.01
code : 94102456

I noticed the gas evaporated within 48hrs, so I must have leaks.

Let me know what kits I did to get her going, ie new primer,
carb cleaner....

puey61, I saw some of your posts, great stuff, very knowledgable.....

Thanks in advance!
Sergio

06-30-09, 06:59 PM   #15  
bump

Anyone can help me? I would like to purchase parts asap, my grass is 4 feet high - thanks!

Sergio

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-09, 11:02 PM   #16  
You might need to just clean the carburetor, or you might need a new carburetor, or you might just need a gasket or two. We can't tell from here. You'll have to take the carb apart and see if it's even worth trying to repair or not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-01-09, 06:39 PM   #17  
Cheese, thanks for input, I will try to remove carb and clean it out. I assume the gas evaporation is caused by old gaskets.

The lawn mower is really in mint condition, and has only been used for 4 years, about 20 times each year.

I'm sure that the last time I used lawn mower, I forget to run it dry, and have not touched it for 5 years. The old gas sitting there definitely caused some damage.

I will search carb rebuild kit online...

Take care...
S

07-24-09, 11:17 AM   #18  
Guys, my grass is about 5 feet.

Here is my status:

1. No more leaking of gas through air filter, my buddy cleaned something, and solved that problem

2. He asked me to purchase a gasket that sits between carb + air filter housing, this improved priming

3. Prime, works but it takes about 20-30 pushes, I'm sure that this is related to dirty jets in bowel???? Any advice???

4. Lawn mower starts when primed, but dies after 2-3 seconds

Before I attempt a carb rebuilt, with 498260 briggs & stratton kit, please provide me some helpful tips!

Thanks in advance!
Sergio

Posted By: SergioMastro bump

Anyone can help me? I would like to purchase parts asap, my grass is 4 feet high - thanks!

Sergio

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-24-09, 11:16 PM   #19  
Tips? It's very basic. There are no tricks of the trade or anything involved. Just take it off and open it up to see if it's worth fixing or not. If it's corroded away, it's junk. If it's just varnished up a little, clean it with carb cleaner according to the instructions on the can.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread