Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Follow up to Honda 3813 smoking, badly

05-25-07, 04:24 PM   #1  
Honda tractor randomly blows lots of smoke, why????

I have a Honda 3813, 2 cylinder, I think 13 horse riding tractor that while running, under load or not, will randomly blow smoke out the exhaust, grey smoke it appears. The smoke continues till I shut it down. When I wait a while, I will start it and some smoke initially appears, the engine runs fine for a few minutes and then I send smoke signals throughout the neighborhood again. Also, I noticed that when this happens, I try to cut the throttle back, but it runs at a high RPM still. I am hoping its in the carb, flooding the carb, gas getting in the cylinder and oil ? I am hoping it's minor not a valve job or rings or so-on.
Let me hear it all you backyard mechanics.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-07, 12:29 AM   #2  
Smell the oil. Does it smell like gas? Is the oil overfilled? Is the oil cap sealed up pretty well? Odd that you'd ask about this mower...there is another question about one of these posted here recently. It's not a real common mower. Nice though...quiet liquid cooled engine. Very reliable and durable.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-26-07, 05:05 AM   #3  
Cheese, I did not smell the oil, yet. I know the level is OK, there is no oil cap, just the tube with the dipstick, I used that to refill the motor. One thing though, it might not matter, but it is the only thing I did different from last year. I used an oil filter for my car as a replacement for filter on my mower. The threads were the same, the o-ring matched and the overall size was the same. I doubt this would cause a problem, I believe all filters filter in the same manner, I could be wrong though.
Today, I will smell the oil and take the carb off and clean it well, check the needle valve, etc.
I will keep all filled in.

DanO

05-26-07, 05:15 AM   #4  
Oh yea, also, the smoke, it appears more of the white color, I am going to check the antifreeze and see if any of it is going bye bye and smell the muffler for that sweet smell. I am wondering if the head gasket is blown, I kinda hope not, but I always wanted to fix a Japanese small engine, not!!!

05-26-07, 06:48 AM   #5  
Cheese, you seem to know your way around these things, I ran the Honda today, found the reason for the smoke, now I have to find the cure. While it was running, I took the air cleaner assy off, while running, I took the dipstick out and discovered oil blowout, then I watched in amazement as oil filled my carb from what I assume is the PCV hose. Now I know why I have the smoke, so, where do I go now? Is there a Positive crankcase valve? I am going to explore some more, but I am not going to ruin this weekend playing around, the lawns mowed, I have the self propelled mower and it's kinda warm. Let me know your hypothesis.

DanO

05-26-07, 07:27 AM   #6  
The END

Problem solved, the easy, cheap way, I drained some oil out of the motor, seems that while I filled the crankcase, I must have checked the level without screwing in the dipstick, we all know who the dipstick is here. Boy, there wasn't that much above the fill line, but after draining, running for 10 minutes, no more smoke, as of now that is. I think I did the fix and let it be known to all, too much oil is NOT a good thing...

05-26-07, 07:30 AM   #7  
Follow up to Honda 3813 smoking, badly

The problem is now solved, luckily, no headgasket change needed, just drained some oil out of the crankcase, boy who would think a little too much oil is such a bad thing, I guess in some cars, bikes, etc. you can get away with it, not in a Honda 3813 liquid cooled riding mower engine you can't. I guess maybe my luck is really good instead of bad.

NY

05-26-07, 09:28 AM   #8  
Being white smoke, the most likely explanation is fuel dumping into the crankcase via a carburetor that is not functioning properly. This would explain the overfilled crankcase that you thought wasn't. By the way, I believe that you do NOT thread the dipstick to check oil level. I've never come across a Honda where you do thread it in, check your owners manual! I see you removed and inspected the carburetor. Did you note any trash, residue or varnish? Hopefully, you did find and rectify any such so that you know you found the potential carburetor issue. Also, the hose you mentioned is not necessarily from the PCV as this is an automotive component and terminology but is essentially the same as a PCV but in our industry we call it a crankcase breather. It acts much the same as a PCV but isn't critical for engine performance as it is on an automobile. Also, the oil filter you purchased may not have the specifications (proper pressure relief psi and an anti-drain membrane) needed for your engine so I recommend using only OE (original equipment) parts when possible.

NY

05-26-07, 09:33 AM   #9  
Check your original thread (post), I've replied to that one. For future reference and continuity, I suggest keeping all related posts in the same thread so that no one has to jump around to see the problem to its end.

MODERATOR NOTE: Threads were merged.

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-26-07 at 10:45 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-07, 11:05 PM   #10  
Glad you got it and thanks for the update. Keep an eye on the oil level, because as Puey61 said, fuel could be entering the crankcase. If the oil level rises, you'll know there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread