Killed lawnmower; I think.

Old 05-26-07, 10:12 AM
Unhappy Killed lawnmower; I think.

I have a GS 1742 Sabre by John Deere Lawn tractor.
17 Hp Brigs and Straton
42 inch deck.
Roughly 2000/01

I have used this mower a good bit. About 2 years ago I disconnected all the safety features on this mower. It has been running strong since then, but now I think I killed it.

Problem started the other day when I cranked the mower, it ran for say 5 minutes then died. After that it has not turned over since. Since I don't have the safety features problem solving should be simple.

1. Check battery = charged just in case
2. Replaced ignition module
3. Replaced starter
4. Can rotate motor using screwdriver put not by hand
5. Starter engages ring gear but will not turn over motor at all
6. drained oil about a quarter of a quart of oil came out.

?? did I burn my motor up or did I miss something I could have checked.
By the way, If I take the starter off the ring gear the starter works fine.

Help please

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-07, 01:56 PM
My lawn tractor is similar to yours. It takes 1-1/2 quarts of oil. I suspect that your engine has failed due to inadequate lubrication.

Old 05-26-07, 07:36 PM
Is it worth taking it to a shop or should I start looking for a replacement motor you think??

After playing with the motor a little today the starter will turn the ring gear a cm a time but no full rotation.

Old 05-26-07, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you have internal damage as suggested. You might be able to fill it with oil and work the engine around enough to get it freed up again, but who knows how long it will run. I've unlocked a few. I had one that probably lasted 2 years after I got it freed up. Others might not last long enough to cut the grass one time. It depends on where the damaged parts are and how badly.

Doing it this way might buy you some time. It also might ruin what good parts are left in the engine. There might not be any good parts left in the engine anyway. I wouldn't suggest having it fixed though...I think I'd replace the engine after getting whatever use I could from it.