Please help....lawnmower has blown engine

Old 05-27-07, 01:52 PM
Please help....lawnmower has blown engine

I have a Craftsman Model 917.270670 Lawn Tractor that just blew a hole in the engine block while I was mowing today. I cannot afford a new mower. I'm trying to find a motor (new or used) that will go in to it. I'm not having any luck, but I'm not sure where to look. I'm not going to bother wasting my times asking Sears. I was hoping someone could help me and I'm also wondering if other engines may be interchangeable with my model. I need something that will bolt down in it exactly. I see other engines online, but not my model, which makes me wonder if something else might fit. The motor is a 16HP Briggs and Stratton Model 310707 Type 0136-E1 Code 0006067D

I really need help here. I can only borrow the neighbors mower for so long. These craftsman mowers are pretty common, surely there is a motor somewhere out there.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-07, 02:25 PM
I'm not at my shop to check out the specs on your engine but being a type # 0136 this tells me that it is a very common spec'd engine. Most likely a 1" diameter crankshaft at the PTO and should be 3 5/32" in length. And since any 8 through 18 horse single cylinder engines will have the exact same mounting pattern you can use virtually any of these such engines. The biggest challenge you'll encounter is to match up the electrical systems to match your chassis' configuration. I suggest checking with all local small engine/outdoor power equipment dealers in your area for anything new or used that will mount up without re-wiring for a different setup. By the way, the exact replacement for your engine is another Briggs, part number 31G707-0026 and if you want to go the shortblock route then this is part number 697761.

Old 05-27-07, 05:11 PM
Thank you very much for that info. That gives me hope that I can find something somewhere. This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference if I went with the short block you suggested? would it mount correctly and would the wiring hook up without problems? From a quick look on the internet the pricing of a new short block is a few hundred cheaper than the original. But I need something I can just drop in without messing with, as I'm not a mechanic. Thanks again

Old 05-28-07, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A short block would be a direct replacement assembled block for your mower. It is not a complete engine. You use the carb, electrical, and other items from your old engine and bolt them onto the short block.

Old 05-31-07, 08:36 PM
Thumbs up

try.. carroll stream motor company... just got the 13 hp 1 very nice built well .,. very good price