Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 824 Snowblower

05-27-07, 05:18 PM   #1  
Toro 824 Snowblower

Hi. First time posting on this forum. There is some great info here.

I was given an old Toro 824 for free. I think it's a 1989 model. I never owned a snowblower so I don't know much about them. The only snowblowing I did was with my two arms and a shovel.

I just dismantled the blower in my garage because of rust all over and are in the process of painting the engine shroud peices, the entire auger assembly and shroud, and the wheels. I took off the carb and cleaned it also. It ran great before the teardown and hope it runs better when I'm finished.

I just have some questions;

1) I purchased a new muffler but there was no gasket with it. The old muffler had no gasket either. Should there be a gasket?

2) What engine oil should be used?

3) What type of spark plug? (I just want to be sure it has the correct one)

4) Should there be oil in the auger gear assembly? I read somewhere grease is only needed.

Here is an image of the teardown:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/298/toroji8.jpg

Sponsored Links

05-27-07, 05:33 PM   #2  
Here is the painted engine shroud and auger shroud...
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3415/toro2kq6.jpg

Here is the cleaned carb with newly painted linkage bracket...
http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/4370/toro3jw5.jpg

MA

05-27-07, 06:15 PM   #3  
Nice job on the tear down.

5w-30 ---oil
Champion J19LM---plug
Yes on the gasket, post engine # and we will get you part#

CO

05-27-07, 06:43 PM   #4  
Toro snow thrower

There is no gasket on that muffler. The auger gear box uses grease, Toro recommends MAG 1 from Lubriplate Toro part number 505-101. I think that a better grease is Shell Alvania EPR00 available from MTD dealers as part number 737-0168A 8oz tube. It holds about 3 oz. Other suitable grease would be ALCO super lube 00(I think this is very close to the Shell grease) or Lubriplate MAG 00. RJ19LM or J19LM spark plug, SAE 5W30 oil is correct.

Toro made this model from 1979 to 93.

Looks like a very good rebuild job.

AJ

05-27-07, 07:57 PM   #5  
No gasket? The engine is HM80. That's what is stamped on the engine shroud. I think it's an 8HP engine. I'm not sure.
Also do these engines have some sort of air filter because I didn't find one installed.

CO

05-27-07, 08:14 PM   #6  
No gasket

Tecumseh does not used a gasket on the snow engines muffler. If you must have a gasket you could use Tecumseh part number 35865. And there is no filter the air is cleaner in the winter much less dust. If there was a filter and it got wet it would freeze and choke the engine out.

AJ

NY

05-28-07, 04:17 AM   #7  
Correct on the horsepower. If needed (and it will be down the road, if not now), the carburetor rebuild kit is Tecumseh part number 631978 and the float is part number 632019 and the intake manifold gasket is 27915A (whenever you remove the carb to service, I recommend taking the intake manifold and carb off as one unit) and the carb gasket is 33268. And also, if needed, the points and condensor are part numbers 30547A and 30548B, respectively. On the oil end of your questions, I recommend using a synthetic 5W30. As far as the exhaust gasket goes, although the engine does not use one, you can certainly use the 35865 gasket mentioned earlier without any trouble. If you need parts for anything, I suggest a local Toro dealer in your area as they will have both chassis as well as Tecumseh parts. And finally, suggestions for spare parts to keep on hand: Auger belt; Auger shear bolts; Spark plug; Assorted roll (spring) pins (for the drive train); Lynch pins (for the wheel securement); Isopropyl alcohol; and oil. Also, since it appears you have no tire chains, you will likely find you will want a set with this type tread tire.

06-06-07, 06:03 PM   #8  
I will be assembling this snowblower this week. I just have a few questions that I'm not sure about.

1.) What position should the bushing that holds the auger shaft face? Is it correct in the first image (upper arrow) or should I flip it as shown in the second image. The second image has a larger copper surface.
2.) There is a hole on the bushing flange (lower arrow). What position should this face and what is this used for?

It would help if someone an assembly manual. But I don't think it's possible to get one.

Image 1
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7100/toro2hc5.jpg

Image 2
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/76/toro3jc5.jpg

3.) On the auger drive wheel (yellow arrow) there are locking bolts. What side should these bolts be on?

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7462/toro1mp8.jpg

NY

06-06-07, 06:26 PM   #9  
The bushing will be the opposite of the way you have it installed in the first photo. In other words, the flanged part of the bushing will face the pulley. The hole in the bushing retainer is if the bushing had a zerk (grease) fitting. Some did and this is where it would come through the retainer and it normally would face downward so that you could access the zerk from the underside. May I add that I see in your third photo that you have painted the muffler and it may not hold up to the heat and if you were to buy a new Tecumseh muffler they are aluminized and resist rust and corrosion pretty well. Also, do yourself a favor and apply a light coat of anti-seize to the choke control where it passes through the clip (slide) as well as the Z-bend of each governor/throttle linkage. Nice job, by the way.

CO

06-06-07, 06:45 PM   #10  
Toro Snow

I have to second puey61 Very nice job. The side of the pulley with the set screws goes toward the bearing.

AJ

06-06-07, 06:54 PM   #11  
Thanks guys that helps a lot.

puey61, I didn't paint the muffler, it's brand new. You can see the old one in the background next the pulley of the 3rd image.

06-07-07, 12:43 PM   #12  
Speaking of assembly manuals, I found many resources on the Toro site. Everything is there from engine diagrams to auger assembly etc.

puey61, from the diagram it looks like the zerk side (number 29 on diagram) goes against the auger shroud. Is this what you mean? I don't remember it being like that when I took it apart. I was just confused about the round bushing (number 28 on diagram). Before part number 27 was against the shroud. I know this becasue I can still see the square hole ouline on part 27 from the shroud.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3645/bushingpn0.gif

NY

06-07-07, 02:13 PM   #13  
Hoo boy, I think that the diagram you linked to is incorrect. They show them in the exact opposite order I believe they actually assemble in. I can't say for sure but, man, I think it should be opposite. More_power, use your best judgement for this, bearing in mind the clearance needed between the bushing and the impeller fan as well as the pulley alignment once installed.

Search this Thread