engine governor gear

Old 05-28-07, 03:20 PM
Question engine governor gear

Engine:B&S 26HP OHV
Model:44677
Type: 0244 E-1

I have replaced the governor gear, and now I'm ready to reinstall the gear cover. My question--the wings on the governor gear should they be closed or open when I put the gear case back on. (2) How do I go about resetting the governor control arm, so that I don't get an out of control rpm when I restart the engine.

Thank all for any advise

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-07, 03:34 PM
Since your going to reset the governor arm anyway it really doesn't make a differance.Just make sure that the nipple that throws the counterweights out to the governor is behind the gov.lever.

Then to adjust losen the small nut on the gov.arm then holding the throttle on the carb. to idle, turn the gov.shaft CCW till it stops.Holding both still tighten the nut.

Old 05-29-07, 05:13 AM
Question repair guy

What exactly do you mean by making sure the govern arm is behind the nipple?

Old 05-29-07, 04:33 PM
Sorry about the delay in getting back with you.Internet explorer was out around here today,just noticed that I could get online.

I mean if you've already taken the gov.shaft a lose from the gov.rod,make sure the "flap" on the gov.shaft isn't laying on top of the gov.and is right in front of the nipple that controls the counterweights.

If your engine is a ver shaft anyway, A B&Smodel # has 6 #'s.Or a letter & 5 #'s

Old 05-29-07, 08:06 PM
Thumbs up Repair Guy

Thank you for your response, that is what I thought you were talking about, just wanted to make sure.