Need engine (Toro 7-25 riding lawnmower)

Old 07-22-07, 10:11 PM
umm is it possible just to order a basic carb kit like just the float needle and seat in stead of doing a major repair. this is not the original carb. the original carb broke at the fuel line connection when trying to connect the fuel line but both engines are 11HP and the same model so I switched carbs. old engine model 252707 type 0647-01 code 84011211

new (used) engine is model 252707 type 0638 so basically they the same engine one was just made before the other

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-07, 02:30 AM
Both are exactly the same carburetor - Briggs part number 491026.

Old 07-28-07, 12:18 PM
well

Well gave it the old collage try. got it purring like a kitten with a cough here and there running fast still no idle then it refused to run right cause of all the fuel. + the battery won't hold a charge had to use a jumper box. and on top of that the pulley don't fit. the shaft is too big. but if both are the same engine and pulleys why does it not fit unless the old pulley was modified or there not the same engine. Oh well thanks for you help. I guess I will just have to take it to a shop see if they will work on it Im done with it. giving up.

Old 09-26-07, 10:15 PM
ok im reviving this thread. I found out the original engine is a tecumseh 7hp model V70-125260E what size shaft is it and what engine will fit. the 11 hp briggs engine that I installed earlyer in this thread has too big of a shaft so i cannot get a pulley to fit so were back to where we started from

Old 11-10-07, 01:59 PM
hello again. OK i have the mower here with me for the winter. im going to sell the 11HP engine and try to find a engine with the right size shaft and 7HP. the original engine was a Tecumseh model V70-125260E with both electric and rope start. i have had 2 sources tell me the size shaft. one says 7/8 the other 3/4 which is it i want to get this thing working correctly with the right engine.i have the correct pully but the engine needs a outside key for ther pulley to stay

Old 11-10-07, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just measure the hole in the pulley...that will be the shaft size. I'm not sure what you mean by an outside key? Normally there would be a piece of keystock slipped between the crank and pulley in the keyway.

Old 03-27-08, 09:59 PM
well thats good but the pulley was sent back. anyway another update. found a old 7hp engine craftsman/Tecumseh model 143-246212 ser-4101d with a 7/8 shaft which is what i need.guy i got from got it off a Toro with a bad trans. needs a new carb as fuel jets out where the air filter should be. anyway got to get the current pulley off. tried using a gear puller and the part that you put the wrench too broke off. so I'm going to see if i can get someone to cut the pulley off with a grinder. the engine runs. the old oil was bad look Grey and soupy and from experience thats from water.carb choke plate is rusty. he said it ran last year and has been in storage sense then. drained it and put fresh oil in. compression is 80PSI good enough.rope start. got the 2 belts on the way the pulley and the new carb for the engine. it ran but if i hook the gas tank to it it will leak badly.but it runs.sounded strong no metal noises or rod knock.

Old 03-27-08, 10:02 PM

Old 04-16-08, 02:08 AM
ok got the old pulley off ended up taking to a friend with a better gear puller and the pulley came off. the engine was supposed to have a 7/8 dia shaft and thats what i was told. well the guy that sold me the engine must have measured wrong has it has a 1 inch dia shaft. have a pulley that will fit the engine but its not the right size for the belts so will have to make it work some how.got the new carb and i guess its not compleat. i got to install a new fuel line plug and take the throttle plate from the old carb and install it on the new one.shouldn't carbs come complete. I never had a new carb be incomplete before.all this is according to the directions sent with the carb including what to set the needles at. just so you know the carb is Tecumseh/Peerless Part 631863C and the engine is a tecumseh/craftsman 143-246212 7HP

Old 04-16-08, 04:36 AM
I, too, have never seen a carburetor come without the choke assembly. I'd say take it back to the shop you got it at and complain. Incidentally, the choke shaft is part number 631779 and the plate is part number 631753. By the way, this is the correct carburetor part number for this engine.

Old 04-16-08, 10:17 PM
well i got most of the parts tranfered from the old carb got the choke plate and shaft installed but could not get the top off the cutoff plate (round thing without holes on ehaust side) and did not have the right size allen wrench i just took it to the shop to have them finish it and install the fuel fitting.

Old 04-17-08, 09:42 PM
it won't start. i've tried starting fluid gas in the spark plug hole. got it to pop a little but it won't start. would it have anything to do with the fact i can't disengage the blades.when i try to move the handle to disengage it makes the belt tighter. do i have the blade belt on wrong. can you provide a link to a diagram for the belts routing i could not find one. im dragging it up to the shop when i get up see if will look at it the orignal pulley would not fit the engine has a 1 inch shaft not a 7/8 like the guy said that sold it to me. so i got a bigger double pulley on there the blade belt is tight so is the trans belt but the blades will not disengage

Old 04-18-08, 02:48 PM
IT STILL WON'T START b what is the problem. both low and high screws are set to 1 and 1/2 turns from seated for a base line nothing maybe a back fire but thats it. why won't it start. not even starting fluid or gas in the spark hole. did i get a defective carb

Old 04-19-08, 01:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kinda hard to diagnose since it sounds like it's already kind of a mess, lol. It could simply be not turning fast enough with the extra load from belts that are too tight, or a safety switch not actuating properly because of the tight belts, or a bad spark plug, coil, kill circuit or wiring, etc...

Old 04-19-08, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Kinda hard to diagnose since it sounds like it's already kind of a mess, lol. It could simply be not turning fast enough with the extra load from belts that are too tight, or a safety switch not actuating properly because of the tight belts, or a bad spark plug, coil, kill circuit or wiring, etc...
i removed the pulley and it still wouldn't start. when the old carb was on it backfired and stuff but got it to run with gas in the spark plug hole. now with the new carb nothing is it possible to get a defective carb. i don't have any wires hooked to the engine. the only wire this engine has is the alternator wire.this engine has no grounding circuit. you turn it off by choking it (no fuel or air) via the throttle cable.

Old 04-19-08, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That might be how you are killing it, but not how it's supposed to be. It has a kill circuit, and that could be why it won't run. Are you going to try a new plug? Yes, the carb was defective when you got it because as Puey61 said, it should not have been missing parts. Sounds like the shop was robbing parts from that carb and then sold it to you. Who knows what other parts are missing from it. I

If I may add a note without offending you,: I really think you'd be better off picking up a different project. This one is too much of an obsolete basket case to be wasting time and money on in my opinion.

Old 05-22-08, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
That might be how you are killing it, but not how it's supposed to be. It has a kill circuit, and that could be why it won't run. Are you going to try a new plug? Yes, the carb was defective when you got it because as Puey61 said, it should not have been missing parts. Sounds like the shop was robbing parts from that carb and then sold it to you. Who knows what other parts are missing from it. I

If I may add a note without offending you,: I really think you'd be better off picking up a different project. This one is too much of an obsolete basket case to be wasting time and money on in my opinion.
yeah i tossed in the towel and had someone else work on it. The carb i ordered online like i do most of my parts.and the instructions that came with it said i needed to transfer parts. the guy that sold me the engine dropped off the wrong one. this was supposed to be a 7HP with a 7/8 dia shaft. it turned out to be a 8HP with a 1 inch and the guy doesn't return my phone calls or emails. I suggested he reimburse the client for the new carb.