Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Smoke Please Helpppppppp!!!

05-28-07, 06:58 PM   #1  
Engine Smoke Please Helpppppppp!!!

I have a Craftman Lawn Tractor Model # 917.256510 with Briggs & Stratton engine Model # 28N707 I/C Gold 15.5HP OHV. It was running fine but after i left the tractor outside with a few rains, It now has alot of black smoke after i start the engine and engage the blade. Some one told me that there may be some water in my fuel and the carburator so i need emty the fuel tank and let it run out of gas. After I change the spark plug, fuel filter and let my engine run until it run out of gas but there're still alot of smoke. I'm a handy man, If any one know what happen to the engine please let me know.

Sponsored Links

AL

05-28-07, 07:11 PM   #2  
Dave....have you changed the oil?if it was left out in the rain for a long time,the crankcase might have water in it.Therefore being like an engine with too much oil in it.And that's what causing it to smoke.Look at the oil.Does it look a gray color and real milky?

05-28-07, 07:22 PM   #3  
I left it outside only one week but it rains several time during that week. After i cut my lawn and check the oil, it was low so i fill it up to the line. if i don't engage the cutting blade, the smoke isn't too bad but when i try to engage the blade and cut my lawn, the whole yard look like on fire with a lot of smoke

05-28-07, 07:43 PM   #4  
Engine Smoke Helpppp!!!!

Please Helpppppppppppppppppp

NY

05-29-07, 02:10 AM   #5  
I'll bet your air filter is filthy. If so, replace this and the spark plug and see what happens. The black smoke indicates a rich condition and is either a carburetor way out of adjustment or a plugged air filter. I'm going with the air filter.

05-29-07, 05:54 AM   #6  
Carburator helpppppp

Thanks for the advice Puey61. I check the air filter and it's still very clean. My suspect is the carburator but i don't know too much about engine and carburator. if any one know how to fix the problem or clean the carburator on my engine model, Please Helpppppppppp!!!!!!!

NY

05-30-07, 02:13 AM   #7  
For someone unfamiliar with carburetors, it will be difficult to hold your hand through the rebuild process. Common sense must prevail and at least some mechanical ability. If you've never picked up a wrench in your life, let someone else do the work unless you have money to burn and the worst that can happen is to replace the carburetor. There are, generally, three colors of smoke that we'll be concerned about, black, gray/blue and white. Of these, is yours, indeed, black? I know the air filter appears clean but for diagnostic purposes, remove the air filter (but reinstall the air filter cover) and install a new spark plug (Champion RC12YC) and see what happens. Don't operate the engine for too long with the filter removed, only long enough to determine if this is the cause. If this yields no favorable results, you'll want to inspect the ignition strength by way of using an inline spark tester. By the way, the only way to rid the fuel system of water is to physically remove it by removing the carburetor, fuel lines and gas tank and blow them out with compressed air...Not run it out!

05-30-07, 08:58 AM   #8  
Thanks Puey61, i already change the spark plug and fuel filter. the air filter is clean. The color of the smoke is black. When i engage the cutting blade, there're alot of black smoke and accasionally some gunfire noise come out of the muffler. by the way, do you have any books or website you recommended for cleaning the carburetor and rebuild it.

MO

05-30-07, 09:03 AM   #9  
The air filter might look and be clean, however if you left it in the rain the filter could be saturated with water(same results as dirt), try running it without the filter like puey suggested. Have a good one. Geo

05-31-07, 09:38 AM   #10  
i try your advised and the black smoke still happened. Any advise how to clean the carburetor on my b&s 28N707 I/C GOLD OHV 15.5HP

NY

05-31-07, 05:43 PM   #11  
You, first, need to be sure your ignition system is up to par. With a weak ignition, it will not fire off the fuel charge completely and thus blow black smoke. Do you have an inline spark tester or, if not, do you have a local Briggs or other small engine repair shop in your area in order to buy one?

Search this Thread