Helping a locked up generator

Old 05-30-07, 12:22 PM
Helping a locked up generator

Hello All, guessing this question goes here.
Neighbor has me looking at a generator that sat in the weather for a while and was locked up. I have the head off, cylinder looks good and all is mechanically working as expected with the motor except it is EXTREMELY hard to turn over even with a wrench. There is no way you could turn it over by hand. I'm guessing either something in the lower end is still rusty or something on the generator end. I have never worked on a generator but it looks like 'just a big starter motor' (oversimplified example). Anything to do or not do when seperating the motor from generator to further diagnose? Looks like 4 bolts will seperate the big part of the generator from the motor end.

Dayton Generator model 3zc12a
B/S model 190412 type 6124-01 code 9208010

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-07, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking locked or seized bearing!

Old 05-30-07, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be tempted to think it's on the generator end if the cylinder appears to be in good shape. Could be bad bearings on the armature, or who knows what since it sat in the weather. Take the generator off and see. You'll probably have a time getting the armature seperated from the engine crankshaft.

Old 06-01-07, 01:50 PM
midway update

just to update those interested, the darn thing fired over today with a squirt of gas thru the carb. I have the carb soaking as we speak (wanted it unlocked before working on motor/carb). took alot of soaking and working the flywheel. I feel sure it will run just wonder if it will produce electricity.
cheese - if it would have taken me removing the armature from the crankshaft I probably would have given up. I've had hard enough time getting things off the crank I could get to much less things I couldn't.

Old 06-01-07, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you get it running, but get no juice, you may be able to get it going again by re-polarizing the field in the genset.

Old 06-02-07, 10:25 AM
thanks cheese for that tip (and everyone), i will hit everyone up for the generator function after it is running if there is a problem. Carb is soaking as we speak.
Question concerning the fuel tank. Plastic tank with screw in on/off valve in the bottom. It seems there is a fuel filter in the bottom of the tank with no access. I have some fresh gas soaking in there now after cleaning the tank by sloshing fresh gas around because the gas just dribbles out. I removed the valve in the bottom and it is clear. Is there another way to clean out gas tanks? I haven't hit it with compressed air yet as I am trying to loosen whatever might have dried to the bottom. Would it be smarter to try and remove the filter from the tank by pushing something up through the bottom and replacing that with an inline filter?

Old 06-02-07, 10:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should just be a sock type filter in the tank, but I'd rather have the inline type anyway...especially since you're thinking the existing filter is clogged. You'll need a good filter anyway to catch what breaks loose from the old one over time.

Old 06-05-07, 08:34 AM
(hopefully) final update

Well, it is running and I put a meter on the generator outlets and they read close to specs. I have not put a load on the generator and will probably have to pull and clean the carb again so unless I run into another problem I just wanted to give a (hopefully) final update.

Old 06-05-07, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good news. Thanks for the update!