Replacing deck on a riding mower

Old 06-01-07, 04:06 AM
Replacing deck on a riding mower

i have a Yard Machine 42" deck. the deck is bent & pushed in & is now hitting the blades. (Lots of roots in my yards). Should i replace the deck or does anybody have any other suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-07, 08:04 AM
If your tractor is more than 10 years old, I'd recommend getting a new tractor instead of investing in a new mower deck. It's just not cost effective to spend what will probably be 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new tractor on a mower deck for an older machine. If your tractor is only a couple of years old and in otherwise good condition, I might replace the deck, but I'm thinking that if the deck is as beat up as you describe, the rest of the tractor probably is also.

Old 06-01-07, 08:17 AM
I have lots of roots also, and the deck of my last mower had been bent in more than once. With a pair of vice grips and some elbow grease I was able to bend the deck back at least enough to clear the blades.

Old 06-01-07, 09:40 AM
thanks everyone. I'm going to try to bend it back w/ the vise grips. if that doesn't work it may be time for a new mower.

Old 06-01-07, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If vise grips don't do it, a big hammer will. I've bent several back away from the blades with a 2-lb sledgehammer.

Old 06-02-07, 02:48 AM
If this is a continual problem - as it appears it is since your roots won't just disappear - you should consider taking the deck to a professional welder/fabricator and have them stiffen/improve the leading edge of the deck.