Engine Swap?

Old 06-02-07, 02:00 PM
Question Engine Swap?

I'm working on my elderly neighbor's 1998 Snapper Lawn Tractor. He was cutting his grass a few days ago, when the 14.5 horse power Briggs and Stratton motor blew up and put a huge hole in the side of the block. I ordered a new 15.5 horse power Briggs and Stratton motor from Tulsa Engine Warehouse that is suppose to be a direct replacement. Can someone confirm this for me?

Blown Motor: B/S 14.5 OHV Model 287707, Type 0247, Trim 01.

New Motor: B/S 15.5 Intek I/C Model 282H07-0231

Next question, do I need to get a pulley puller to remove the electric PTO, deck pulley, and drive pulley off of the shaft? Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 10:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't confirm the engines are the same dimensions right off the bat, but most likely they are. The snappers use engines spec'd to the same standards as most all other manufacturers. Most engines around that size will fit as far as bolt patterns and crankshafts.

After removing the bolt from the crankshaft, the PTO clutch and pulley should come off by hand.

Old 06-03-07, 05:43 AM
Thanks for your response Cheese. The new motor is a 6 amp motor, will this be enough for the electric pto? I got the half of the pto off the crank shaft, but the rest of it and the drive pulley are not coming off by hand. I've tried everything, except a pulley puller. Thanks again.

Old 06-04-07, 06:16 AM
Does anyone have any idea?

Old 06-04-07, 06:29 PM
The exact replacement I came up with is 285H07-0026. Whether this is similar to your new engine or not, I don't know. I'm not at my shop to do a cross reference but, if needed, I can. A puller may be necessary to remove the trans drive pulley from the shaft along with some heat, possibly. As far as amperage goes, this relates to the charging system, not as in electric motors, and should be suitable for an electric PTO drive.

Old 06-04-07, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The PTO should come off as a complete unit. If it has come off in more than one piece, you probably have damaged it.

Search this Thread