Tecumseh won't increase in speed

Old 06-01-07, 04:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tecumseh won't increase in speed

Model OHH 60
6.0 HP Horiz. shaft

I have this engine on my yard vacuum, when I finsihed with it last fall it ran perfectly. I just started it, and it starts pefect, but when I raise the throttle lever up to increase it's speed it stays on idle. So I suppose I have lost a spring somewhere, but I can't find where one goes. The operator's manual does not show any pictures of the throttle system.

Does anyone have a picture of it, and can give me an idea of what kind of spring and/or where it goes?

Thanks all

Old 06-01-07, 09:43 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Follow the throttle cable to the source to see if it actually moving anything, sometimes it is so simple we fail to look for it. Have a good one, Geo

Old 06-02-07, 01:15 AM
S
Red face

Thanks geogrubb for your input, There really isn't a throttle cable, just 2 springs, one which attaches to the throttle lever. I found the pictures and all the springs are there, so I tore the carb down and cleaned it, I did have a gas clamp that was broke, so I replaced it, and it runs fine now. So I don't know whether it was a dirty carb or maybe an air leak from the gas line to the carb.

Old 06-02-07, 02:34 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most likely the throttle shaft was "frozen". Did you note, before tearing down, if the throttle shaft moved? This would be as a result of varnish buildup and is rather common and, generally, can be avoided by using fuel stabilizer during storage periods. And if the storage periods are during times of hot/warm weather (depends on where you live) and is for more than four months, you should also run the engine once a month for 10 minutes at half throttle.

Old 06-02-07, 04:04 PM
S
Red face

Puey 61:

thanks for the response, the throttle shaft was moveable. I alway put gas stabilizer in the gas thats left in the tank in the fall. I run the motor about every month thru the winter, at the same time I'm running my generator, tyo keep it sound.

Old 06-02-07, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised that is was not frozen but, anyhow, I'm glad you got it repaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: