Leaking carb is back?

Old 06-02-07, 05:26 PM
S
sod
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking carb is back?

I have a 1999 toro recycling mower with a 6hp briggs engine, model 20023. A few weeks back I posted about a problem with gas leaking out of the carb into the air filter housing. Members suggested I put in a new needle and seat. I did and the mower ran fine for the last three mowings. Now today, the leaking is back. So once again I need your help and suggests as to what maybe causing the problem? Thanks.

Old 06-02-07, 05:43 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
One or two possible problems. First, you may have a poor, in-tank, fuel screen (filter) and it is allowing fine sediment through and into the carburetor and obstructing the proper operation of the inlet needle and seat. Or, secondly, you may have had a badly varnished carburetor and in need of a good soaking and complete reconditioning rather than only a new needle and seat. On the first, you could likely find an inline fuel filter that will fit in place and provide a better filtering ability than the in-tank screen and on the second problem you would want to remove, disassemble, soak and recondition the carburetor with a complete rebuild kit.

Old 06-02-07, 05:56 PM
S
sod
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks puey61

I don't believe that varnish is the problem since when I had the bowl off the carb guts look to be very clean. Likewise, I have never left gas in the mower over an extended time period. As to the filter option, are you suggesting that I put in a filter in the line between the tank and the carb. I don' think have much room so what kind of fitler would you suggest? And where would be the most like place to find this filter?

Thanks again!!!

Old 06-05-07, 02:27 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sorry I took so long to respond. Yes, an inline filter between the carb and tank is what I have in mind. But, based on your latest post, I'd say this should not be needed, although any small engine/outdoor power equptment shop should have one such. I know the carburetor appears clean but I'll bet it needs to be reconditioned. At least pull off the carb bowl and preserve the fuel that is in there and see if any sediment exists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: