B&S Engine Problem

Old 06-02-07, 09:03 PM
Unhappy B&S Engine Problem

Hello Folks,

I have a 10 yr old Homelite 4400 W generator that is powered by a Briggs & Stratton engine. The model of the B&S engine is:

Model: 197412
Type : 0116-01
Code: 94041818

The generator sat for 7 years in my garage with gas in it. Obviously last month when I [img]attempted to start it again it didn't work. I took the carburator out, bought a carb kit and cleaned the whole thing with B12 Chem. The carburator and fuel lines are nice and clean and everything is assembled. I replaced the spark plug just to be on the safe side and added fresh gas. I cleaned the flywheel and coil pack because they were a little bit rusty. I placed a playing card between the coil and the flywheel to keep the air gap to specs.

Short story long, the thing won't start...

Any ideas what's going on with the engine??? The spark plug is getting gas, I know it because I took the plug out after a lot of attempst to start the engine and the plug had gas on it.

I'm thinking its an electrical issue...any help would be really appreciated.

I've attached three pictures so you can have a better idea of the engine I'm working on.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/ar56529/?action=view&current=generator1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds as though you did most everything you would have to do, and then some. Do you have spark? Pull the plug, connect it to the plug wire, and lay it on the head of the engine and give the rope a pull. Does the spark plug fire? If not, check to see if maybe you put the coil back on wrong side up.

Old 06-02-07, 10:24 PM
Actually I don't have a spark.

I went a step further and used my multimeter to test the voltage. I'm not sure how much it should read at the end of the cable. I grounded the (-) cable and connected the (+) cable to the end of the cable where the spark plug is connected.

Any idea how to test the coil?

Thank you very much.

Old 06-02-07, 10:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only way to test the coil is to remove the kill wire from the coil and check for spark. If you have sufficient spark, the coil is good. If no spark, it's bad. The coil will not work if it's flipped over. This is a common thing to have happen, so make sure it's right side up. Also, this engine probably has a low-oil sentry switch. If so, and it's low on oil, it will not allow the coil to fire.

Old 06-03-07, 01:21 PM
Thumbs up

Thank you for your reply.

I went out to the garage this morning and I checked the oil level. It looked full but I decided to add just a little bit to it. What do you know??? I pulled on the rope and it fired up. It is amazing that just a couple drops of oil resolved my problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 06-04-07, 11:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help, and thank you for the update!

Search this Thread