14.5 B&S with white smoke

Old 06-04-07, 08:47 AM
Question 14.5 B&S with white smoke

Hello gentlemen,I have a mod.#287707 b&s that has an intermittent smoke prob. It will come and go as I'm cutting.I've been reading some of the old posts about white smoke problems. Can anyone explain how to do a leak test on the cyl. to check ring vs head gasket prob. Also what would I need to do if it's a fuel in the oil problem. The carb. was pretty gummed up when I got it but the smoking started before the guy stored it for 5 years. It seems to run pretty smooth after I cleaned the carb., but should I try rebuilding it? He was going up hill when a puff of smoke came out and he said he never ran it after that. Thanks for any info and have a great day.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-07, 09:52 AM
I had the same type problem with the same engine several years ago. First I would check the oil to make sure there was no gas in the oil, if so definately change the oil. I'm betting there is. (and yes, there is alot of information on this problem in this great forum). I know I didn't answer your question specifically but I work in baby steps.

Old 06-04-07, 06:02 PM
First, a leak-down test reqires a specialized tester. A tool most homowners can't justify buying. But if you do want to buy one and use it, you will position the piston at 1/4" past top dead center (TDC) on the power stroke, lock the crankshaft in this place from turning, remove the dipstick, remove the air filter, install the tester to the spark plug hole, apply the necessary air to the tool at the correct pressure via the tools adjustable gauge, read the tools pass/fail gauge. If the tool indicates failure you'll then listen for air leakage from the muffler, the air cleaner opening and the dipstick tube. If you hear no air from any of these then you can safely assume you have a blown head gasket. If the air leakage is from the muffler then you have an exhaust valve issue. If the leakage is from the air cleaner then you have an intake valve issue. If the leakage is from the dipstick tube then the rings are to blame. Second, since the carburetor was previously a mess and you didn't install a carb rebuild kit then I highly recommend doing so. I believe that this is your trouble, not anything related with the combustion chamber, except that your smoking problem appears that it is only while running the engine. Generally, a running engine will not smoke (white in color) since the engine is using the fuel at a rate that should not allow any fuel into the crankcase. Are you sure the smoke is white and not blue?

Old 06-04-07, 09:14 PM
Thumbs up Great info

Thanks for the info. you've given me a couple things to try. I'll get back with you with any results. My experience is limited with some of the internal workings, but I'll try what I'm comfortable with.The cylinder walls don't seem scored at all. Would they necessarily be marked if it needs a ring job? If it does end up needing one, about what am I looking at costwise? Thanks again

Old 06-04-07, 10:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You've already removed the head? The rings could be worn regardless of cylinder condition, but I would check the other more likely problems first. How did the head gasket look? It is a common occurrence for these engines to blow a head gasket and burn oil because of the crankcase pressure. Is there a gassy smell to the oil? What wieght oil are you using?

Old 06-05-07, 05:44 AM
Thumbs up head gasket

When the guy gave me the tractor,he told me he thought it was the head gasket, so naturally I leaned in that direction before I realized how bad the carb. was. I couldn't see any breeches in the gasket when I removed the head. After sitting awhile, there was minimal oil pooling in the lower side of the cyl. but I figured it being a horizontal eng. and all, that was going to happen. I don't know what he used,but I changed it to 30# oil. I'll look for gas in the oil when I get back to it. I'm going to start on the carb. this week and see what happens. Thanks again.

Old 06-07-07, 11:05 AM
Thumbs up Good to Go

It seems I had a combination of both problems. I imagine the fuel in the oil might have caused the weakening of the head gasket. A question did come up about the torque on the bolts. Would over-torqueing them a couple lbs.,cause a problem down the road or,as long as the head didn't warp or crack would it be ok? Just hypothetical. By the way, this forum has to be the best tool in my collection. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-07-07, 04:37 PM
Glad you solved the trouble and no, a couple extra foot pounds of torque won't cause any damage.

Search this Thread