Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Onan / Case Transplant wiring questions

06-05-07, 06:44 PM   #1  
Onan / Case Transplant wiring questions

I have limited information with me, so I can only ask for general information - and your patience.

My brother-in-law is a huge fan of Case lawn/garden tractors. Found one he liked with a blown motor. Transplanted a used Onan 24 horse motor into it, including shortening the drive shaft. Clever piece of work, fit nicely, makes plenty of power. Spins a much bigger mower deck - those are another issue!

Doesn't charge the battery.

While we were able to garner a number of manuals for the model engine (nope, don't have that with me) we never were able to find a wiring diagram / scematic.

Stator seems to ring good (lots of guessing here) and we THINK we have identified the correct wiring to it, there is a ?diode pack? mounted on the engine with multiple terminals all unmarked. So we should have unregulated power, now we just need to tame it and tie it to the rest of the system.

Near as we have been able to determine, this engine (whose model number I apologize for not having at the moment) was produced before Cummins? purchased Onan and was never a genset. So we have had some trouble tracking down solid information. Cummins doesn't seem to recognize anything produced prior to their acquisition.

Is anyone supporting the older Onan engines? Is it possible to get detailed wiring information for my orphan?

Any help appreciated, really tired of charging it every time we want to use it.

Emmett

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-07, 08:21 PM   #2  
Hello Emmett!

When you say the stator "rings good", what do you mean? Have you checked it with an ohmmeter? Does it produce A/C voltage before the diode pack (probably is a set of diodes as you suspect...a rectifier, and possibly a regulator as well)? How many terminals are on the rectifier? I would suspect 3. Usually there are 2 wires in from the stator, and one out to the battery.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-06-07, 02:17 AM   #3  
I see you're from a large metro area and you should easily be able to find an old school Onan dealer in your neck of the woods that should be able to help you out with specific model information. Onan's were once popular on John Deere garden tractors and if you have a Deere dealer in your area, they may be a good source of knowledge.

06-06-07, 07:08 AM   #4  
Dealers and such

I have checked the stator for continuity, but never looked at it with the engine running, I can fix that. I was being dense and assuming I was going to have to energize a field to get power out.

I DO seem to remember three leads on the diode pack, how does one tell them apart?

And where on earth do you get tires for this thing? The fronts are fairly lawn tractor sized, but the backs have "big wheels"?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Emmett

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-06-07, 09:44 PM   #5  
On the diode pack, check it out with your meter. I bet the 2 outside terminals are the AC in terminals, and the center one will be the battery terminal.

Got a tractor supply store near you? They should have tires. Probably 12". Wal mart even carries some lawn and garden tires. Ebay would be another option.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-07-07, 07:59 AM   #6  
On the issue of tires: if they were standard lawn tractor I would have no problem. These are about 9 inches wide and near ~ 30 - 36 inches tall, look like baby tractor tires with lugs.

Not something I had seen on ANY shelves.

Search this Thread