Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor won't start

06-07-07, 10:58 AM   #1  
Lawn Tractor won't start

Just was given a craftsman lawn tractor. I replace the ignition switch, then the solenoid. Still not a sound. If I use a screw driver on the solenoid it does turn over.

Can the seat safety have anything to do with it? And how to check it?
Please verify for me that I got the solenoid connection right.

2 red wires (small and large) from the battery. On the other side one large red cable to the starter. At the bottom a small black wire and a white wire.

Fuse looks ok. battery ok

Sponsored Links

06-07-07, 02:34 PM   #2  
engaging switch may be bad

after jiggling the engaging arm I got a response, however not strong enough to completely turn the engine over. It just rrrr rrrr. If I have to replace that switch how in the world do you get it out?

NY

06-07-07, 04:21 PM   #3  
Post back with the chassis ID numbers. The model should begin with either 917. or 536.. We need to know what you have to give you direction. Sears does not manufacture their own equipment and the model number will tell us.

06-10-07, 06:40 PM   #4  
model # 917255440

new situation. The battery was now not fully charged so I did that. Mower started fine. But the ignigtion switch was left in the starting position to the far right instead of being brought back to the center. The black wire connected to the solenoid burned all the way back to the ignition switch. Did I wire the solenoid wrong? I connected the black wire to the side of the solenoid that has the red wire connected to the started.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-07, 10:33 PM   #5  
It's connected to the same post as the starter cable? Or to the spade terminal on that side of the solenoid?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread