Lawn Tractor won't start

Old 06-07-07, 10:58 AM
Unhappy Lawn Tractor won't start

Just was given a craftsman lawn tractor. I replace the ignition switch, then the solenoid. Still not a sound. If I use a screw driver on the solenoid it does turn over.

Can the seat safety have anything to do with it? And how to check it?
Please verify for me that I got the solenoid connection right.

2 red wires (small and large) from the battery. On the other side one large red cable to the starter. At the bottom a small black wire and a white wire.

Fuse looks ok. battery ok

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 02:34 PM
engaging switch may be bad

after jiggling the engaging arm I got a response, however not strong enough to completely turn the engine over. It just rrrr rrrr. If I have to replace that switch how in the world do you get it out?

Old 06-07-07, 04:21 PM
Post back with the chassis ID numbers. The model should begin with either 917. or 536.. We need to know what you have to give you direction. Sears does not manufacture their own equipment and the model number will tell us.

Old 06-10-07, 06:40 PM
model # 917255440

new situation. The battery was now not fully charged so I did that. Mower started fine. But the ignigtion switch was left in the starting position to the far right instead of being brought back to the center. The black wire connected to the solenoid burned all the way back to the ignition switch. Did I wire the solenoid wrong? I connected the black wire to the side of the solenoid that has the red wire connected to the started.

Old 06-10-07, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's connected to the same post as the starter cable? Or to the spade terminal on that side of the solenoid?