6.0 b&s mower won't start

Old 06-07-07, 05:29 PM
6.0 b&s mower won't start

My mower just died,and doesn't want to come back to life. A friend had the exact same mower i have,that he never used cause of missing parts. So, i swaped out the carb and still my mower won't budge. I also read on another thread about the little bolt that holds the bowl to the carb,cleaned the little holes in it,and also cleaned the carb with cleaner,ran wire though every little hole to make sure they weren't clogged. Put everything back together and it started for about 5 sec. then shut off. So, I changed out the plug and air filter and still nothing. I'm about ready send this thing to the mower grave.Can anyone please help bring this thing back to life.. just my luck it's something really simple. Am I over looking anything??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 06:34 PM
Anyone??? Please Help

Old 06-07-07, 08:10 PM
Unhappy

Is there anyone outhere that can help?? Please!!!

Old 06-07-07, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Patience my friend.

What happened when the mower died? Did it smoke, backfire, run rough, run slowly, shut of like a light switch, run out of oil, surge fast and slow, etc, etc...? Some detail about what it did when it died will help us figure out what went wrong.

Old 06-08-07, 05:06 PM
Smile

Thanks for replying cheese. But the only thing that happend was that it just shut off,so i checked fo the basics...gas in tank,oil, spark,and air filter. Everything was good except the air filter,so replaced that,and while I was in the store bought a new spark plug. After replacing those things,pulled the rope about 3 times and it started ....stayed running for like 5 sec.then quit.
So, then I thought maybe it had something to do with fuel delivery. ..and my previous Thread explains what happened next.. again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-07, 05:39 PM
You said you swapped the carb, how were the gaskets? Did you use new ones?
Old torn or rotted gaskets can cause no start, hard start or rough running issues.

Old 06-08-07, 06:52 PM
It still seems to be a fuel delivery issue related to the carburetor but, of course, you want to cover all the bases: Ignition strength; Compression; And, vacuum (relative to the intake valve and intake manifold). If all the above check out OK then I'd say (and I do say) you have a carburetor in need of a thorough, proper reconditoning.

Old 06-08-07, 06:59 PM
Yes, I did use the same gasket,(the one from the air filter housing to the carb) it looked okay.You know, I forgot to mention,after i swapped carbs,and after about 6 pulls of the rope,i somehow managed to get it running long enough to cut grass...ran for about 20 min. or so. When I stopped the mower,I gave another pull of the rope just to see if it would start. And nothing,..that was the last time it ran. So, should I change the gasket to the carb? what about the float needle in the bowl? I checked that also,it seemed to move freely.

Old 06-08-07, 07:06 PM
Model, type and code numbers, please, from the engine.

Old 06-08-07, 07:09 PM
I'll have to get back with you on that one puey. dark outside.

Old 06-09-07, 05:21 PM
Smile

Well guys, I finally found out what was wrong with my mower. You all will probably get a kick out of this one. It was the kill switch cable. After disassembling the carb and cleaning it again,thinking maybe I had missed a spot. I put it back on and gave about 3 pulls and nothing.I really had giving up,I mean I had put my tools away and everything. So, when I pushing the mower back to storage,I noticed when I was squeezing the lever to the k/s,it didn't have enough tension to expand the spring. I had my wife hold the lever while i rigged a way to expand the spring. After 1 pull,"LIFE". So since I had the other mower I just swapped cables,now shes running again. I quess something to be aware of next time.. well thanks for trying to help out guys...