Honda GX340 - Need Assistance w/ Valve adjustment

Old 06-09-07, 01:34 AM
Question Honda GX340 - Need Assistance w/ Valve adjustment

Hello All,

I lent my power washer to a neighbor and got it back not running. They sprayed it clean and it quit running. That was two years ago.

I tore it down tonight, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the oil, filter, plug & fresh gas to find no compression. I flooded the cylinder to seal the rings in case they were rusted to the piston and ensure I got a seal, still no compression. I removed the valve cover to find one of the valves were stuck open. Took the valves out cleaned & reinstalled them.

My question is how do I know properly adjust the valves? How does one measure where they are supposed to be? Also does it need to go back together when the flywheel is at TDC?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Pbear

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-07, 03:32 AM
The piston, not flywheel, should be 1/4" past TDC on the power stroke and you will then use a .005" feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve stem to set properly. You will need to loosen the jam nut on top of the adjuster (pivot) nut and loosen or tighten the adjuster so that the feeler gauge has a slight drag. Bear in mind that it may take a few tries because the adjuster will be affected when you tighten the jam nut down while holding the adjuster in place. After you tighten the jam nut be sure to recheck the clearance and correct, if necessary.

Old 06-09-07, 01:59 PM
Smile

Puey61,

Thank you very much, I got it running! What a great feeling of accomplishmnet! Could not have done it without you! It is running but blowing a lot of blue smoke (burning loads of oil), without tearing it right down I am unable to determine if the rings are rusted to the piston. Do you know if by just running it they will free up or do you thiunk my valve adjustment is off?

Thanks agian for your assistance, very glad I didn't have to go a buy a new unit.

Cheers,

Pbear

Old 06-09-07, 06:59 PM
Being a horizontal shaft engine and blowing blue smoke will generally indicate a ring wear problem, but definitely not related to the valve clearances. Perhaps, although rather unlikely, the valve stem seal and/or valve guides are well worn and allowing oil (from the valve train area) to seep past and get into the combustion chamber. Of, if the head gasket is blown out between the valve chamber and the combustion chamber this will produce oil smoke.

Old 06-09-07, 10:56 PM
Well she ran great form about 1/2 hour and then it quit. When I tried to pull it over, it felt like zero compression so I checked the valves to find one of the rockers spilt (cracked down both sides), they are just stamped metal (not cast) Maybe I just didn't have the gaps set correctly or maybe I torqued it down too tight, I think I did them to 8lbs. So I am ordering new valve rocker arm assy's.

Cheers,

Pbear

Search this Thread