Lawn Mower won't Run

Old 06-09-07, 12:52 PM
Lawn Mower won't Run

Hi All
My hubby has been working on our pushmower for a couple of weeks now, it is a craftsman self-propelled push mower. It has a briggs & stratton engine. The first few times around the yard this spring the mower went fine. We bought new gas & then things started going terrible. The engine sounded clunky or like it was suffocating. My hubby checked the filter, changed spark plug, used choke spray (?) carb cleaner stuff, and mower would start but not run. We thought it had something to do with the throttle, but it seems like it's not getting fuel. So he drained gas, checked the fuel line and it was clear. Got another thing of new gas, & it still won't run. He's frustrated, & is stuck. He feels like it might be a carb thing, which he says is out of his knowledge base. He thinks he can fix it but doesn't know what to do.

when i checked the other posts, parts & procedures were mentioned (removing the bowl) that I didn't recognize as something he said he tried or knows how to do.

we know it needs a new blade, too.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-07, 03:15 PM
Did you ever hit a rock or something? Maby the flywheel key sheared.

Old 06-09-07, 06:01 PM
Post the make, model of the machine and we can guide you. Look on the engine cover above the spark plug and there should be some numbers stamped in the housing, give us those too.

Old 06-09-07, 06:39 PM
It does sound like a carburetor issue, if it starts with a prime but will not continue to run. Post model numbers off of your mower and we can tell you how to check the carburetor and he can decide if it's something he thinks he can handle or not.

Old 06-10-07, 09:49 AM
Thank you for the replies so far.
Ok, these are the numbers: Craftsman 917-378450, Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP,
123K02-0183-E1-02031357 (# stamped on motor). We appreciate the help.

Old 06-10-07, 10:15 AM
There is a nut in the bottom of the carb bowl, remove this nut it will have some small holes close to the bottom, using carb cleaner, twist tie wire, compressed air, clean the holes. Carefull remove the bowl, don't ruin the gasket, clean the bowl of any obvious gunk. Now set the mower down and see if there is a good fuel supply flowing from the tank, now tilt it back up and reinstall the bowl, careful with the gasket, reinstall the bolt in the bottom(main jet) and you should be good to go. Hopefully this will take care of it and the carb will not need to be removed and soaked and stuff. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-11-07, 05:15 AM
Oh, good. He said he knows what bowl you are talking about and is going to try that this morning. We will post with more questions if it doesn't solve the problem. Thank you.

Old 06-12-07, 06:42 AM
He is mowing the grass!! The only problem now, is that the grass is long. lol

Old 06-12-07, 07:48 AM
It is always great to hear when something gets fixed. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-20-08, 07:06 PM
Need Help

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
There is a nut in the bottom of the carb bowl, remove this nut it will have some small holes close to the bottom, using carb cleaner, twist tie wire, compressed air, clean the holes. Carefull remove the bowl, don't ruin the gasket, clean the bowl of any obvious gunk. Now set the mower down and see if there is a good fuel supply flowing from the tank, now tilt it back up and reinstall the bowl, careful with the gasket, reinstall the bolt in the bottom(main jet) and you should be good to go. Hopefully this will take care of it and the carb will not need to be removed and soaked and stuff. Have a good one. Geo
I have almost the same issue. My lawn mower would not start. I changed the air filter, plug. The engine would try to start but would not sustain running. So I put small amount of gas in the engine straight, it started, but did not have enough power. Ran for about 30 minutes, but then quit completely. Now it would not start even if I put the gas in the engine. Sounds like some carburator issue. Do you have the picture (details of the engine - 123K02-0183-E1) I found some details at the website (Briggs and Stratton). Will print out. However, if you can provide some insight what needs to be done (other than what you wrote above that I will try tomorrow). Where exactly I need to put the starter fluid if I need to? Any help will be appreciated. I will try what is written above and then see what happens. Thanks in advance if you have any other insight or picture/pdf file etc.
SIncerely
NeedhelplawnMWR !!!
[email protected]