Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler 341 governor wobbles

TN

06-09-07, 04:52 PM   #1  
Kohler 341 governor wobbles

I have a JD 316 lawn tractor with a Kohler K341 engine that I'm rebuilding. The plastic governor gear sits on a short steel shaft in the crankcase. A long stop screw / pin is supposed to keep the governor on the shaft. However, my gear can be slid forward until it hits the stop pin, then tilited until it falls off of the shaft. This happens as I'm installing the camshaft.

The governor is dark tan. It is used, but has no missing or damaged teeth. The stop pin is straight. The gear hole is 0.382" and the shaft is 0.370". I expect they should both be about 0.375". I'm wondering if the gear hole (or shaft) is worn excessively. The governor definitely wobbles on the shaft. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? What are the wear specs on the shaft and gear? Do I need a new gear and what about the shaft?

Thanks,
Barry

Sponsored Links

AL

06-09-07, 05:28 PM   #2  
Barry I don't know the specs on kholer engines,BUT you might find what you need to know on the Kholer site

http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp

hope this helps................good luck

TN

06-09-07, 07:11 PM   #3  
Thanks Repair Guy, but I've already been to the Kohler site. I also have the Kohler service manual. No hint there either. The manual mentions inspecting for broken teeth or other damage, but nothing about hole or shaft wear. I also question why a steel shaft would wearing so much (0.375 to 0.370) from a plastic gear. Maybe low oil or contaminents. Mainly, I need to know what I should replace... if anything. At $22 and $25 I'd rather not replace the gear or shaft if I don't need too.

Barry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-07, 10:47 PM   #4  
I don't know of any specs for the gear or the shaft, but I wouldn't think the shaft would have worn that much. Is there evidence that suggests it was? I've seen worn governor gears on kohlers, and usually replacement of the gear is all that is required to correct the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

06-11-07, 06:51 PM   #5  
Thanks for the words of wisdom Cheese. Hmmm, what the heck is "wisdom cheese?"

I measured the shaft (0.370), the gear hole (0.382) and now I have a measurement on the new gear (0.377) which is on order. By installing a new gear, I reduce the slop from 0.012 to 0.007. That still seems like a lot of slop. If the new gear doesn't solve the problem, I may drill it out and insert a brass bushing. That would be a lot cheaper than replacing the shaft at $25+.

I "assume" the shaft is 0.375 nominal since that is a standard size. That would give 0.002 slop when new, which I think is common for a gear on a shaft (any mechanical engineers out there?). That means this shaft has 0.005 wear. I suppose that could happen over 25 years.

I'm wondering if something else isn't wrong as well. Even 0.012 play (about 4 sheets of paper thick) shouldn't let the gear wobble off the shaft. I just haven't figured out what it could be... yet.

Thanks,
Barry

NY

06-11-07, 07:05 PM   #6  
Post back with the specification number and I can see if you have a replaceable governor shaft and bushing, which I believe you do. The spec number should begin with "71".

TN

06-12-07, 07:37 PM   #7  
Puey61, yes the shaft is replacable. The engine is a K-341AQS, spec 71242a. The shaft is a Kohler 235125-S or John Deere M43172. I would also have to replace a pressed in plug which looks like a freeze plug, Kohler X-230-11-S. You have to remove the plug to gain access to press the shaft in/out.

There is no bushing. Just a plastic governor gear, Kohler A-235743-S (kit) or John Deere AM32663. The kit includes the thrust washer as well as the gear.

Is there any chance someone has a new shaft and will verify the diameter for me?

Thanks
Barry

TN

06-14-07, 05:46 PM   #8  
I tried the new governor gear and... Wah La. It doesn't fall off. However, it does still wobble quite a bit. My calipers show the inside diameter on the new gear varies between 0.377 and 0.375. That leaves about 0.005 to 0.007 play. So I'm still thinking about replacing the shaft.

Has anyone out there got a new shaft they can measure?

Barry

TN

06-18-07, 12:34 AM   #9  
I didn't want to pay $25 for a new shaft (also known as "getting the shaft"), but I really did need one. So I made a governor shaft from an old 3/8" drill bit. I just cut the shank off to the correct length and pressed it into the crankcase. It pressed in nicely and the gear no longer wobbles. It's hardened steel and should last well with a plastic gear. I was even able to reuse the access plug. I'm a happy camper... and $25 richer.

Barry

Search this Thread