Craftsman 32cc Weedwhacker Engine Tuning

Old 06-14-07, 05:24 PM
Unhappy Craftsman 32cc Weedwhacker Engine Tuning

I have lost the manual on my trimmer. Engine will start but not keep running. Tried to adjust the one screw by carburetor to no avail. Engine seems to start and then die once gas forced in by prime bulb is used up. I'm looking for the way to troubleshoot problem and/or adjust the carburetor. The screw is currently all the way in which I'm sure is not right. The weedwhacker is about two years old with very minimal usuage.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-07, 06:40 PM
Start by checking all the fuel lines which after 2 years they will need replacing, then get a carb diaphgram/gasket kit, carb is probably a zama or a walbro, remove carb and clean with carb cleaner, you will have better luck usually with a bath type cleaner then blow out all holes, cracks, crevases with carb or brake parts cleaner or compressed air if available, no high pressure. If you purchase a rebuild kit for the carb use the original metering arm as it will have the proper height adjustment and unless you have the proper guages the adjustments are tricky. Reassemble set the mixture screw 1 1/2 turns from seat to start and adjust from there. The pros on this forum will correct where I am wrong. Have a good one. Geo

Carb info: www.walbro.com - select Service/Aftermarket or www. zamacarb.com - select Service/Aftermarket

Old 06-15-07, 02:18 AM
If you, indeed, have a fuel mixture screw (needle) then this should be set a 1 1/4 turns out from seated, generally. Certain carburetors (but I believe they would be a bit older than what you have) that were early versions of emission-compliant carbs called for a setting of 2 1/2 turns out from seated. I can't say specifically which carb models are included but I know them only by sight. Go with the 1 1/4 setting and see what happens.