Craftsman Pro 32cc Weed Wacker String

Old 06-15-07, 06:37 AM
Question Craftsman Pro 32cc Weed Wacker String

I have a, hopefully, simple question.

My Craftsman Weed Wacker string unwinds after starting it and revving the throttle. Even without bumping the bottom of the spool to advance the string.
It just undwinds automatically.

I have rewound the string 10 times now, just like I always have done for the past 5 years. It seemed to be working fine until I rewound it this last time.

I even wound it the opposite direction to confirm I had it on the right way. With it wound in the opposite direction the advancing mechanism would work as it should, but when you tapped the bottom of the spool it would retract the string each time.

So I rewound it again the way I thought it should, but it keeps unspooling and wrapping itself around the head. Everything appears to be OK with the mechanism underneath. Everything was clean and dry. Out of desperation I added some thin lubricating oil to the mechanism and that did no good.

I am using a thicker string than I had in the past. But I have used this string for 2+ years now with no issues.

Am I doing something wrong? These things are really simple but I can't figure out what the heck is going on and I can't find any repair manuals for this specific model.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-07, 12:53 PM
The first thing to mind,you said that you've already tryed.And that is wind the cord the opposite direction.Next I'd think that the spring was weak or the slots in the bottom of the head is worn or broken.

YOU COULD TRY STREACHING THE SPRING A LITTLE BIT.

Old 06-15-07, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the response, repair_guy.

You wouldn't happen to know if this model is supposed to have (2) springs in the advancing mechanism would you?

I noticed that there was only (1) spring in there where the system was designed for (2). I thought maybe it was missing a spring at first, but then I have seen a lot of manufactured components with pieces, like a redundant $.07 spring, missing to save mfg costs.

Old 06-15-07, 02:32 PM
Just the one spring is all any trimmer has.

Old 06-16-07, 09:33 AM
Some, but only Ryobi units, have two springs. Post back with the model and serial numbers of the unit and I'll have a look at what you have and advise you better. Model probably begins with 358.

Old 06-26-07, 03:57 PM
Thanks, puey61.

Sorry it took so long...was out of town:

m/n: 316.795110
s/n: 705024855

Old 06-26-07, 05:28 PM
Just went out tonight and bought a new spool cartridge and new bump knob. Installed it and it still unwinds as I rev the engine.

Is it completely incomprehensible that the engine would turn opposite of the way it was designed?

Old 06-27-07, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, the engine is still turning the correct way. It sounds like the housing for the spool is worn out. The spool catches are probably worn off.

Old 06-27-07, 02:34 AM
This is a Ryobi unit and it does indeed have the two-spring setup that I indicated. These are very complicated assemblies for me to try to explain their operation. Have a look at this link (copy and paste into a new window) and I believe you may need to purchase reference items 19, 22, 23, 25 and 26. http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImagePageJava.shtml?productTypeID=1503820&brandID=0247&modelDesc=GAS%20POWERED%20WEEDWACKER&modelNumber=316795110&documentID=10049276&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=DRIVE%20SHAFT%20AND%20CUTTER%20HEAD&titleID=00002&

Old 06-27-07, 05:13 PM
If I am reading the diagram correctly item #22 is the single spring that keeps item #26 engaged with the teeth on the spool. I do only have #22 spring in the head then.

Do these springs wear out and would a worn out #22 cause this?

Old 06-27-07, 05:57 PM
I've never seen this spring wear out and I really wouldn't think that it should with even commercial type useage. Is the #26, cam in place? Do you have a local MTD service center in your area that happens to work on handheld equipment? Perhaps they would have the individual parts on hand so you could compare your parts to new ones to help you determine any and all parts in need of replacement, if any.

Old 06-28-07, 03:33 AM
Yes. The cam is in place and appears to be working fine. It seems to move as it should, with no hesitation, sticking or binding, with no visible wear. Before I sprayed a light oil in there it looked like it was brand new.

I'll drop it off at a local repair shop today and see what they say about it.

Thanks for your continued help with this!

Old 06-28-07, 12:57 PM
What a pain in the rear! 2 local shops that I have been to before will not work on the Craftsman weedwacker.