Tecumseh 5.5hp Engine Having Trouble

Old 06-15-07, 11:05 AM
Tecumseh 5.5hp Engine Having Trouble

I have a Lawn Boy Silver series mower with a 5.5hp Tecumseh on it. Lately it has been having trouble starting and gets easily bogged down when cutting any amount of grass. I cleaned the fuel filter, replaced the air filter and spark plug. This didn't help.I checked the carburator to no avail. I went inside the engine block for a closer 'look see' as it felt like what I had was a compression problem. The piston was noticeably cleaner on the bottom. Upon closer inspection I found oil there. It was also my suspicion before that I was burning oil although there was no blue smoke, the level just seemed to decrease a lot fairly often. Is the piston and or piston wall damaged? Oil in the piston... is my motor toast?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-07, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the compression before disassembling the engine? There is supposed to be oil at the piston. I think you may have jumped the gun a bit...but now that you're in the engine you might as well check it over. Do you have means to check tolerances, bore size, piston ring end gap, etc...??