Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine in craftsman running lean

MI

06-16-07, 08:39 AM   #1  
Engine in craftsman running lean

I have a craftsman lawn tractor and its not running right, I have to keep the choked pulled about half way out on it. I checked the fuel filter and thats ok and I took the carb off and cleaned it and it still does the same thing. I looked on it and there isnt any adjustment screw I seen. Does anyone know how to adjust it to make it run richer?

Here is some numbers off the engine if anyone wants them.
model 42E707
type 2631E1
Code 9804275B

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links

NY

06-16-07, 09:19 AM   #2  
Since there is no adjustment, you will need to clean out or replace the main jet, part number 691773. If your carburetor has a fuel solenoid you will need to remove this to access the jet otherwise there will be a plug requiring a 5/8" wrench to remove the plug to access the jet. Be sure to shut off the fuel supply before removing such since the jet is in the bowl area of the carb and fuel will spill out once the plug or solenoid is removed.

MO

06-16-07, 09:22 AM   #3  
Sounds like you did not get the main jet clean. Go to www.briggsandstratton.com, select small engines, select Order Briggs Parts(second item down on right side), enter your model number 42E707 and 4 digit type, select to see the free pdf, you can then see the breakdown of the carb and any jets you may have missed or the part number for a rebuild kit. Have a good one. Geo

NY

06-16-07, 09:34 AM   #4  
Oops, forgot, a 3/16" ball hex driver is best to remove the jet.

WI

06-16-07, 09:39 AM   #5  
One thing most people miss when cleaning these carbs is that there are two systems, idle and high speed, that need to both function properly. You can tell which system or both is at fault by where you need the choke to be out or if the engine is speed hunting, High/low RPMs. The idle jet is usually accessed on the top of the carb and has a very fine hole the center of it. The main jet is either on the side or in the main center tube of the carb. Both of these function together at high speed and the idle speed jet is as labeled at idle. Both have to be clean. The High speed jet is more critical at high speed but the idle jet does supply some fuel at high speeds. Also make sure you fuel is fresh, with in the last couple of months, as old fuel will not burn properly resulting in running at half choke. Soak in choke cleaner and use a small wire to see that the varnish is remove. Blow out with compressed air. Good luck.

Last edited by CAMINO KID; 06-16-07 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling and addition

MI

06-16-07, 02:52 PM   #6  
I did take the plug out and cleaned the main jet, there was junk around it so maybe there still is something in it. I'll have to clean it again and try it. Its really bad at idle but when you run it at full throttle it will run with no choke but it runs better with it out a little.

NY

06-16-07, 06:23 PM   #7  
I think it may be best if you remove the carburetor and soak it in a bath cleaner, spray it off with a carb/choke cleaner, blow it out with compressed air and then recondition it with a complete carb rebuild kit, also replacing the carb to manifold gaskets. The Briggs carb kit is part number 693503 and includes a fuel pump rebuild kit for the four screw pump that is integral to this carburetor. And the carb to spacer and spacer to manifold gasket is part number is 692278 and two are needed but one comes in the kit and if you remove the spacer, whether purposely (as I would) or inadvertantly, you will need to purchase a second one seperately.

Search this Thread