Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 502.270210 still won't move

FL

06-16-07, 03:13 PM   #1  
Craftsman 502.270210 still won't move

I replaced the blade idler pulley and belt the drive belt seems tight but does have a crack in it so I know I will have to replace that also... I am trying to figure out how to do that with out having to remove the transaxle ( I am afraid that might be above my ability) anyway when I engage the clutch and rotate the blade by hand the blade pulleys and the drive pulleys all move (the drive belt catches where the crack is but still moves) Is there anything else that could be wrong? It will not move in any gear to include reverse. Oh... and any advise on replacing the drive belt without removing the transaxle? Thanks so much you guys have been really helpful thus far. :-)

Last edited by sheridjohnson; 06-16-07 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added another question

Sponsored Links

NY

06-16-07, 06:11 PM   #2  
I'm unclear if you can move the shifter into gear and then are not getting any propulsion or if you can't even move the shifter. Which one is the case? If you can move the shifter and having done so, does the engine bog down when you release the clutch pedal? The belt can be removed without dropping the tranny, you will first loop the belt off the tranny pulley (you may first have to loosen/remove any belt guides around such pulley) and then from the idler pulley (if guide(s) are in place on such idler pulley) and then from the engine pulley. Note that you must first drop the deck belt off the engine pulley. Did you have any drive line issues before replacing the deck belt and idler pulley?

AL

06-16-07, 06:47 PM   #3  
You can find a detaled drawing of the way the belt runs at http://www3.sears.com. Just input your mowers model # and click on motion drive.

Does the axels turn while the mower is in gear?If so you've got a sheared key in one of the back axels.

FL

06-17-07, 05:55 PM   #4  
continuing saga of craftsman 502.270210

sorry my reply to your post did not show up. Not sure what happened. Today I decided to check the square key, lo and behold neither side had one. While having the tires off and the rear end securly placed on cinder blocks I decided to start it up and check for axle rotation and here is what I found...

1. as you are setting on the mower the right axel made a slight movement and nothing more, the left axle rotated great! I changed gears a couple times and the axle moved accordingly speeding up and slowing down. Engaged the brake and the movement stopped. Again this is all on the left side no rotation on the right at all.

2. i got off the mower and manually rotated the right axle and it moved both sides in their correct rotation opposite each other. I then checked the left with the same result. I sprayed each side with WD40 and again check each side by starting the motor and engaging the gears with the same result as the first time.

What can cause this or is this rotation how it is suppose to be?

Thanks.... oh and I have not changed the drive belt yet. I was doing another project today (cleaning out the garag) and fell from the attic ladder hurting my arm, knees, and back (SUX) so I am a little to sore to tackle that job :-)

Also for those of you who it is appropriate HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!! Look forward to your advise you guys have been wonderful so far and explain things in such away that I feel I have learned so much from you! Thanks!

NY

06-17-07, 06:29 PM   #5  
Please, for future reference, keep all problems related to the same machine in one thread, not three. It makes it difficult to follow along and keep track of chronological events. In any case, you must have both axle keys in place for the drive train to function properly. This is because the transaxle has a differential whereas the wheel with the least resistance will slip and this helps to track in a straight line and reduces stress on the tranny when turning. Install both keys and your trouble will disappear.

FL

06-17-07, 07:01 PM   #6  
Thanks so much!

I am sorry for spreading these out! and i will do better in the future. You have been so much help I will replace those tomorrow after work and mow my yard! Thanks again you have been great.

NY

06-18-07, 06:43 PM   #7  
Let us know how it goes!

FL

06-19-07, 10:05 AM   #8  
Rainy Days :-(

Well I had full intentions of placing the square key in the axles last night but JUST as I got off work it started pouring down rain! We do need it though (florida) anyway as a result I didn't get to finish the project. I did place one tire on though and spun it and what a theroy the whole axle (and tire) spun like it should so hopefully (despite an 80% chance of rain this afternoon) when I get off tonight I will be able to finish up the job and mow some grass :-) will let you know what happens. Thanks so much!

FL

06-20-07, 06:56 PM   #9  
Good News Bad News

Ok guys here it is...... The good news is I drove my mower from the back yard to the front and into the garage!!!! I even engaged the blade to see if there would be any adverse actions.... IT WORKED!!! I love all of you so much and really enjoyed the challenge you provided me. Now for the bad news..... I am done needing your help atleast for now. Unless any of you know how to get the fron cover off a GE SSS25KFMDWW Refrigerator Ice Dispenser :-) the chute door on mine is open and will not close. At first I thought it was a solenoid but now I think it is just frozen as I found ice in between the wall around the chute. Well another day another time. If any of you have suggestions on this issue I am all ears. Thanks again you have been so great!f

FL

06-20-07, 08:45 PM   #10  
I don't have a clue on the refrigerator but agree we need the rain in Florida, the garage is usually a better place to work anyway. There is a forum here for electric appliances including refrigerators that might be a better place to post that specific question.

NY

06-21-07, 02:12 AM   #11  
Good news on the mower, sorry about the fridge. As goose indicated, there is a separate forum for such trouble, see the experts over there. Remember, the rule of three's will tend to prevail. Watch out for one other problem but as I suggest create a minor problem yourself so you'll have no surprise. LOL.

FL

06-25-07, 01:17 PM   #12  
I'm Back :-( Drive Belt Broke

I know how the belt should be routed, I know I need to drop the mower deck and remove the blade belt which I have done already, and I removed the belt guides that were in the way. One problem I am seeing is the idler pulley that the belt goes behind seems to close to the stack pulley so I can't seem to get the belt around the top pulley. I have enclosed a link of just this section maybe you can look at it and tell me what I need to do. Thanks so much. I have spent nearly 5 hours off and on between throwing tools and cursing I got absolutley nothing done. Please help me.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z34/qwikfixgirl/drivebeltinfo.jpg

AL

06-25-07, 02:09 PM   #13  
Push the clutch pedal down all the way and tie in place until you get the belt on.That should give you room to work.

FL

06-25-07, 06:09 PM   #14  
Oh ya! your good!!

It worked like a charm!!! Thanks so much I'm on the grass again :-)

AL

06-25-07, 06:54 PM   #15  
Glad we could be of service.Bookmark us and put us in your favorites,(just in case)

FL

06-25-07, 07:58 PM   #16  
Your already there! Plus I have told many people how great you guys and your site is! Have a great evening, week etc. Hope not to have to talk to you real soon but be asured if I need to I will definately be back

NY

06-26-07, 02:09 AM   #17  
Ahh, closure! Hopefully this didn't cost you too much to get it solved and I hope your fridge woes are as simple to solve as the mower.

FL

06-26-07, 10:05 AM   #18  
parts = $35.00
Greif = Zero Dollars just lots of #[email protected]#@
self satisfaction = Priceless

:-)

could be a mastercard commercial :-)

Thanks again.

FL

07-01-07, 08:15 AM   #19  
brake/clutch acting up

Ok... after replacing the drive belt ( I tied down the clutch with a bungie cord) I started the mover and with a bit of a challenge I finally got it in first gear to check for movement. Well I had movement problem was I only stopped when it ran into the garage wall. I could not get the break to work. So I stopped the mower turned it around to point outside (smile) started it and again the samething only this time I used the key to kill power. I adjusted the break rod (A LOT) got back on and it worked only problem is I could only do 1st - N - R and each with great difficulty. I stopped the mower (still idling) I engaged the clutch and forced it into the other gears it seemed to loosen up some however when I put it in first and slowly released the clutch I heard a screatching sound and a bit of smoke like the belt so I turned it off. I have looked under the mower and all seems alright. What should I be looking for? The belts seem alright the drive belt shows no rubbing or wear. Could the break rod be to tight now but that would not explain the difficult shifting ( from the handle/Lever on side of mower) I am perplexed.

NY

07-02-07, 02:35 AM   #20  
I'd say the drive belt has been installed incorrectly and is not completely coming to a halt when the clutch pedal is depressed thereby making it near impossible to change gears and will also override the braking. You may have well smoked the belt and may need to purchase another one, have a closer look at it. The link you provided earlier should HELP you to determine how the belt routes but you need to be sure that the belt is on the correct side of all the belt guides. A guide should never come between the belt and a pulley. Bearing this in mind, look, again, at the routing and see if you have something out of position. You may need to readjust (loosen) the brake control rod once the setup is corrected.

Search this Thread