Help with replacing mower blade

Old 06-17-07, 06:24 AM
Help with replacing mower blade

Hi All,

I am a complete n00bwhen it comes to this. I have a replacement mulching blade for a Snapper mower. I can't remove the old blade, ~5 years old, because I can't turn the bolt, which I am assuming is reverse threaded based on how the blade would spin. I don't have the instruction book for the mower.

I even bought a cheap wrench/ratchet set from costco and pounded on it for 15 min with a wrench/hammer and ratchet/hammer, but it doesn't budge. Does anyone have any advice??

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 04:45 PM
Blade

Have you tried to turn the bolt in the opposite direction?

Old 06-17-07, 06:53 PM
The nut/bolt may be reversed in reference to the blade rotation, but not always. You need to be 100% certain wether it is a right or left hand thread before attempting to apply extreme force to the component.

Normally pounding on a cheap wrench will not give the same effect as a true slug wrench. There's just too much flex (cheap steel) and sometimes the fit is too sloppy.

Never hit a ratchet like a slug wrench...that never works.

Your best bet is to brace the blade as solidly as possible (in a strong vise maybe), and try again with a good quality wrench with a short extension on it.

Or...

Do you know anyone with an impact wrench?

Is this a bolt and not a nut?

Jim

Old 06-18-07, 05:04 PM
Most blades were tightened to approximately 50 foot pounds of torque. As you look at the blade bolt head, you should be turning counter clockwise. Wedge a 2x4 so the blade can not move and you might have to get a breaker bar and a good correct size socket, probably in a 1/2 inch drive size.

Old 06-18-07, 06:00 PM
Or, it may be so stubborn that you may need the advantage of compressed air and a 1/2 inch pneumatic impact wrench. You probably have a good local, small business auto repair shop that would be willing to lend a hand and remove the bolt for you. It will be a standard right-hand thread whereas a CCW rotation will remove it.

Old 06-18-07, 06:37 PM
Great, I ended up getting it off, i soaked in WD-40 as much as I could overnight, dunno if that did anything, but the vice/brace helped get a better angle and it loosened after another 10 min.

THANKS