(ride on mower problem) mechanic can't fix.

Old 06-17-07, 06:35 AM
Unhappy (ride on mower problem) mechanic can't fix.

My X-mark ride-on mower runs fine until I engage the mower function. Then, the faster I accelerate, the slower it mows. Then, all of a sudden, something will "catch" and the mower works fine for a few minutes, then it goes back to very slow. Higher grass makes it worse. I have observed than when this "slow down" occurs the engine sort of putt-putts, and there is a smell of gas. If I don't back off on the accelerator, the machine quits. My mechanic is stumped. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 11:43 AM
Twin cylinder engine??

Sounds like you have a twin cylinder engine with a faulty ignition module on one of the cylinders. Loosing spark on one cylinder will cause a loss of power as well as the odor of unburned fuel.

Old 06-17-07, 05:06 PM
Tell us, specifically, what make engine you have and crankshaft configuration and number of cylinders and post back, also, with any and all ID numbers from the engine.

Old 06-18-07, 06:41 AM
info on mower

It is a Kawasaki 23.0.
There are two "things" on the back side with the letters "OHV" and one spark plug (I think)

I could not find an ID# on the engine, but did find the following...
eXmark
S# ND10023
V#177183VA002
C#103 0287
Dec 13 00

does any of this help?
when the machine is running without the mower I have full power.

thanks -Jaye

Old 06-18-07, 02:48 PM
The numbers you posted don't look familiar to me. A 23hp Kawasaki engine should have a model number like FH680.....

The engine numbers are found on a decal attached to the side of the crankcase of the engine. The model and serial number of the mower I believe should be on a plate riveted to the right hand side of the frame below the steering control arm.

In any case this should be a twin cylinder engine. It could be a bad spark plug that quits firing under a load, or still a bad ignition module that is not providing sufficient voltage to the plug to jump the gap under a load.

It's also possible that you may have a problem with one of the valves on one of the cylinders that is causing a problem.

I still think that what is happening is that you are loosing a cylinder when you place a load on your engine, or you may have a dead cylinder and you just don't really notice it until you put enough load on your unit.

Old 06-18-07, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Problem with the governor, perhaps?:

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/governor_adjustment.html

Old 06-18-07, 06:38 PM
Since you indicated a mechanic has been used, has he tested the ignition strength, on each cylinder, at cold engine? And at hot engine? Has he performed a leak-down test on each cylinder when cold? And when hot? If so, what are/were the results of each test and, specifically, the leak-down results at each given temperature?

Search this Thread