Engine cuts out. Help Please!

Old 06-18-07, 03:19 AM
Engine cuts out. Help Please!

Hey guys,
Ive got this four stroke Engine 5hp 192cc, and for the life of me i do not know why the engine idles great on choke and out of choke but when i go to accelerate it cuts out. The spark plugs fine, the petrol line from the tank to the carbi is fine. The carbi looks exactly like a tecumseh carbi but it has inscribed "Nikki 621022361". Ive cleaned the carby heaps of times, used carbi cleaner and everything but it still does it! The gaskets that conect the bowl to the carbi and the carbi to the engine are worn a fair bit, but i really dont know if this could cause an engine to cut off when i try to accelerate. If you think it is the gaskets please tell me or if it is something else please help me out.
It would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 04:27 PM
If the gasket between the carb and the block is worn, it could be letting air in which would cause a mixture issue, like having to use the choke to keep it running. That's a good place to start if you've already cleaned the carb well.

Old 06-18-07, 04:38 PM
The gasket between the engine and carb is crittical here and could explain why it idles good both with choke and without. If you have a major air leak, you will not pull enough fuel at full throttle from the main jet which is on the side of the casting that he fuel bowl bolt attaches to. Go with a new gasket and then look at your main jet by inserting a fine wire through it.

Old 06-18-07, 06:10 PM
I see you use the words, "petrol" and "carbi", typically indicating someone from Europe, are you? Not prying but this may help us help you since Euro standards and carburetion differ from ours, here, in the US.

Old 06-18-07, 11:03 PM
Hey guys,
thanks for the replies, i will change the gaskets as soon as i can because theyre very worn. (the gasket between the carbi and the block in places is worn all the way through). To answer your question puey61, im not from Europe, im from Australia although my folks are of an italian background
Guys, where would i get gaskets from?? i tried ebay though they dont have the exact model number of the carbi??
Thanks

Old 06-20-07, 08:12 AM
Do you have any numbers on the engine?

Old 06-21-07, 02:56 AM
On the blower (flywheel) shroud or perhaps on the rocker cover (if an overhead valve engine) you will find model, type and code numbers. Find these and post back with such, we can then provide you with part numbers you'll likely need.

Old 06-27-07, 08:30 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help, i changed the main gasket from the carbi to the block with a piece of cardboard, it works great without any hesitation. Thanks again!!

Old 06-28-07, 02:50 AM
The cardboard may not hold up well due to heat and vibration and, over a short period of time may get chewed up. If you post back with the model, type and code numbers of the engine I can provide you with the correct Briggs part numbers for what you should purchase and then you should find a local Briggs shop or online Briggs parts source and buy the correct gasket(s).