Possible Crankcase Breather Problems

Old 06-18-07, 02:47 PM
Possible Crankcase Breather Problems

Craftsman DLT3000 18.5 OHV Briggs & Stratton motor. This engine has a small round fuel pump attached to the side of it and oil seems to be leaking out of it. I am not sure why but some have told me that it could be the crankcase breather in need of replacement. If so, where is the breather located on the engine? Is it hard to replace? Any advice is welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 04:54 PM
How much of an oil leak? The fuel pump uses the crankcase pressure fluctuations to pump your fuel from the tank to the carb. You may see a slight wetting arround the hose connection but unless you are blowing the crankcase hose off the pump or the engine is smoking I do not see a major problem. Depending on the model and build information on the engine, the location of the breather has changed from the older versions. The older version of the OHV came off the area on the side of the engine where the new version comes from the top of the block near the flywheel.

Old 06-18-07, 06:06 PM
Are you sure it is oil leaking out at the fuel pump and not fuel? While it is theoretically possible - since the pump utilizes crankcase (where the oil is) pressure and vacuum - it is extremely rare for this to happen. Post back with your engine's model, type and code numbers so we can see just what engine you have. Do you, perhaps, simply have a fuel leak at one of the three fuel lines attached to the fuel pump? And would then need to replace such fuel line and, if so, I recommend replacing all fuel lines and clamps!

Old 06-19-07, 06:09 AM
Model

Craftsman DLT3000
18.5 OHV, Intek plus
Model 31P777, Type 0296E1, Code 050118ZE 33206
It is oil that is leaking. It makes a mess. Enough leaks out that oil has to be added during mowing. The fuel pump has a porous element on the side and that is where it is running out. I replaced it with a new one incase the diaphragm was bad, but it still leaks. I purchased a breather reed and gasket, but i haven't installed it yet because I have to remove the flywheel first to get to the breather cover. A friend of mine is going to buy the flywheel puller today.

Old 06-25-07, 09:22 AM
Still leaks

I changed out the breather and gasket this weekend. I fired it up and it still leaks oil.
I have had it with this problem. I can not think of anything that would cause it to leak from there.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Old 06-25-07, 09:31 AM
It sounds as if you have a compression ring problem and the only to test is for a shop to do a pressure bleed test which requires a special guage and the ability to lock the crank shaft.

Old 06-26-07, 02:19 AM
Based on your engine's code number (050118**) this engine was manufactured on January 18, 2005 which means the unit was manufactured after that and that the engine may be within warranty (2 years from date of purchase) and this would definitely be a warranty situation, so it appears. Even if you purchased the mower in, say, March of '05, a reputable Briggs & Stratton dealer should go to bat for you with their Briggs Central Distributor and get this through the warranty process even though it may be a couple months past warranty period. Contact a local, reputable, Briggs & Stratton dealer in your area for consultation and possible warranty.