Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Hydro Transaxle

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-07, 09:40 AM   #1  
Craftsman Hydro Transaxle

Rider model: 917.272681
Hydro Transaxle: 322-0510
The lady said she just finished mowing and parked it nose first into the corner of her garage. Now when trying to move it by advancing the lever on the fender in either reverse or forward, it growls severly. It will bog down the engine if not released. The parking brake has no affect. The release to move the mower manually is pushed in. When pulled out and trying to move the rider with it running has little effect, IE: No sound or movement unless the go lever is pushed fwd all the way then there is a soft quiet growl. The transaxle will not turn with the release pulled out either(engine off trying to move the rider). There is some grass clippings on top of the transaxle but not NEARLY as bad as I have seen and does not appear to me to be enough to cause any overheating.
I can slip the belt around the pulley enough to tell the belt is routed and on all the pulleys.
That was all I could think of to check without bringing the rider back to my shop. Now I need to know if or what I could check if I did?
Sears site does have a parts breakdown, but I was under the impression these are a non-servicable item.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

06-19-07, 09:44 AM   #2  
wasnt sure you said you are still stuck in the corner or not? but if you are make sure the brake peddle is released as well as the gear placed in neutral, and of course the pin in the proper place..then try manually moving it

other than that i would check for flooding

how old is it? any warranty?

-trent

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-07, 10:22 AM   #3  
I can get it out of the corner but what then? Flooding? No idea what you could mean by that in reference to the hydro transaxle..??? As mentioned the parking brake was checked and results are the same whether it is on or off. Lever in nuetral yeilds the same as well with the pin pulled out, still locked solid.
The only thing I did not do was jack it up and see if one wheel is locked and not the other, but it appears that both are locked. I could try this if it may help diagnose...?

The main thing I need to know is, is it worth loading and dragging to my shop. I can only assume that if I do it will need removed and dissasembled, which I am mechanically capable of doing, but would like to have some idea of why I would be doing it.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-07, 10:28 AM   #4  
I don't know the exact purchase date of the rider but I believe its been at least a few years. The lady has been a customer of mine for several years and takes good care of her equipment, per my instruction.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-07, 01:10 PM   #5  
I see your reference to checking the parking brake, but did you visually verify that the brake itself (under the mower on the tranny) is releasing? The pedal may be coming back, and the clutch might be moving, but the brake assembly itself could be stuck. The fact that it bogs the engine down leads me to think the tranny is trying to work, but something (like the brake) has it bound.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-07, 02:24 PM   #6  
I did not visually verify it but I will try to go over with a jack tonight and see if one or both wheels are locking.
The parking brake felt completely normal and when the mower was rocked there was some movement each way before it Solidly stopped.

I suppose I just as well bring it back since even getting to the calipers will require more than I want to do where its at. I would still like any info on servicing this type of unit. Is it done, can it be and is it worth it?

Thx for the replies.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-07, 03:10 PM   #7  
I have a second rider currently in the shop Craftsman model# 917.259830 which also has a hydro drive. The RH axle has sheared off a piece along the keyway groove.
The drawings on the sears site do not show it to be the same as the 322-0510, but it looks to be very similar. However there is no breakdown available.

Any words on repairs, tooling, parts, etc. for any of these hydro units?

TIA
JB

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-07, 05:57 PM   #8  
I can't give much advice becasue I don't usually try to work on hydros. I've found that when they go bad, they aren't worth trying to repair. In the rare case when a hard failure occurrs (rather than the unit just wearing out), then it's reasonable to repair the unit. If you don't find the problem to be external, then you might have a broken gear or a snap ring that jumped off and got caught in the differential gears. This would be worth fixing. The main thing about these trannys is to be super careful to not let any dirt get into them while they're open on the bench. I like to pressure wash them before opening them up.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-07, 06:43 PM   #9  
Thx cheese for the reply. That is basically the info I was looking for. I checked the price on a replacement and its close to 700.00. As long as no special tools are needed and parts are available. Point noted on cleanliness, as with all hydraulics.
I have seen these hydro drives rip themselves out of the chassis but never seen one go bad yet. All of a sudden two in a row and I was just curious if there was any thing worth investing in tool and knowledge wise for future.

It still may be the park brake. Will let ya know.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-20-07, 12:41 PM   #10  
One down, the brake was locked up apparently. Thought I had my hand on it the other night but guess not. It snapped loose pretty easy.
Thx

Ne suggestions on the busted keyway? I have a few ideas but always good to hear some that actually worked

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-21-07, 12:15 AM   #11  
Glad it was just the brake!

Are you saying the keyway is messed up the entire length of the axle? Could you cut a keyway on the other side of the axle?

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-21-07, 02:50 PM   #12  
Yes the the piece that sheared off is along the entire length and pretty much flush with the bottom of the slot. When I first took it off I thought the key had sheared but it wasnt. Its not steel key stock either. I got to looking at the piece closer and I think its been busted a while, maybe even off and back on once. No idea how it got broke and not stuck. Maybe someone pounding in the key but....????
I aint got no fun toys like die grinders n such even still that sounds like alot of work.
I put it back like I found it and it seems to be ok. Not a repair I would garuntee or try to sell but I will be keeping it so I am sure if it becomes a problem I can tackle it then.

Thx agin for the replies.

Search this Thread