Very old 7 hp roto tiller

Old 06-19-07, 04:05 PM
Very old 7 hp roto tiller

I have what seems to be a very old Eaton Techo master tiller powered by a Wards powerkraft By Briggs & Stratton 7HP 4 stoke engine . It was suppose to run just fine ..BUT I am having some some trouble keeping it running . It will start if i spray a little starter fluid into the air intake but will not draw fuel on its own. This unit has a bout a 1 gallon steel tank with a glass bulb under it the fuel line goes from just above this bulb to the other side of the motor into what i guess is the carb , has some adjustment screws on it with alittle metal lever toward the front that moves up and down to choke ( not sure which way is starting position) I would appreciate any assistance offered in helping me get this tiller working again OR (It won't be long till she ends up in the scrap metal pile)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-07, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds to me like the carburetor needs to be cleaned out. Especially if is has been sitting unused for a long time. I suggest removing it and soaking it in a bath-type carb cleaner, and reassemble it with a new float, needle, and gaskets.

Just for kicks, you could try using fresh gas, and back out the screw on the bottom of the carburetor a bit to see if it will start. If so, you may be able to adjust that screw to get it running right, but if there is trash in the carb, it will be a problem until it's cleaned.

Old 06-19-07, 05:54 PM
Lever moves down to choke.

Old 06-20-07, 06:38 PM
thankyou for the reply . Do you think the replacement parts for a carb this old are readily available ? because I have not seen a set up like this before with the glass bulb under the tank etc ( I mean this thing looks like its from the 50's or 60's)

Old 06-21-07, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm pretty sure you have the old updraft carb on that, and parts should still be available for it. Use the model# of the engine when inquiring about parts.

Old 06-21-07, 02:02 AM
You may need to use some emery cloth to clean away any rust but there will be a model, type and code number stamped into the flywheel/blower shroud of the engine. Post back with these three sets of numbers and I'll give you a good idea as to what you should purchase for the fuel system to get it back up to par.