starter on troy built

Old 06-19-07, 06:02 PM
cf1
Red face starter on troy built

i have a troy built riding mower with a 21 horse brigs stranton engin .. starter jams up often, i have to turn the top of the engine to get it to release.. what would cause this, how do i fix it? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-07, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the valves are too loose, the compression release won't be effective on the engine, which makes it hard to start. This would allow the starter gear to mesh with the flywheel, but the starter wouldn't be able to turn the engine over. Rocking the engine by hand lets the gear fall back in place on the starter, and usually one or two trys like this will be enough to get the engine to turn over and crank.

Another thing could be a worn starter bushing on the drive end of the starter, allowing the starter shaft to move away from the flywheel and bind. Also it could just be a problem with the teeth on the drive gear.

Old 06-19-07, 10:13 PM
cf1
thanks alot for the info cheese, when i get a chance i will pull the starter off and check it. do you know if theres a bendix spring on the starter? years ago i had trouble with an old chevy ,it turned out to be the bendix..

Old 06-20-07, 02:10 AM
Not all starter models have a spring and those that do it is only a return assist spring and it relatively minor. The inertia of the engine starting is all that it take to kick the gear back down the shaft and the spring merely only provides an assist. Post back with the model, type and code numbers on your engine so we know, specifically, what you have.

Old 06-20-07, 07:20 AM
I was wondering if the plastic starter gear might be boogered up (technical term for seriously worn) and not releasing properly.

Old 06-20-07, 10:24 AM
cf1
this tractor is only 3 years old.. troy built model #t809h.. briggs twin 21 hp. model 4075770292e.. the starter was draging when i would try to start it , then it started locking up, the only way to unlock it was to turn the engine from the top..im thinkg it may need a shim in it..

Old 06-21-07, 02:28 AM
Don't shim anything, you could create more trouble. As Cheese indicated, if your valve clearances are off then the MCR won't function as necessary to relieve compression during the start cycle. I'll bet that one or more of the valve clearances are off. Pull the rocker covers and set all four clearances to .005". Make a note of where they're at before any adjustments are made so that we can advise you whether or not this is the source of your trouble. For reference, if needed, the Briggs part numbers for related parts are as follows: 690971, rocker gasket; 695708, starter gear; 696541, starter top end "Bendix" kit; 499612 flywheel ring gear; 497595, starter motor.

Old 06-23-07, 07:14 PM
cf1
right now its working fine, but when it locks up again i will take your advise and check the clarence.. thanks

Old 06-25-07, 04:45 AM
Wink

Check your clearance, Clarence!