engine won't start

Old 06-20-07, 01:37 PM
engine won't start

Ineed help fellows . I changed engines in a toro briggs powered rear engine 80's vintage. the motor was running when it was taken out of another toro mower. problem is iI no longer have spark engine cranks but no run . How do I check for spark . and did I hook something up wrong. two leads coming from motor one fused and the other I think goes to ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 06:36 PM
To check for spark you remove the sparkplug, put the wire back on it and lay it where it is grounded and watch as you crank to see if it sparks.

Old 06-20-07, 06:43 PM
engine won't start

I have done that and no spark. don't know if i have it hooked up right with the wiring though

Old 06-20-07, 08:36 PM
If it ran when it was yanked it should run now so I would think wiring problem. Thanks to this forum I learned Toro doesn't use solenoids so I bet if you post back with some engine numbers and mower numbers help that knows much more than me will come. Past that you could remove the kill wire from the coil to check spark but be ready to kill then engine another way (pull the plug wire, choke it out, etc.) Another consideration would be: What caused you to pull the prior engine?

Old 06-21-07, 02:17 AM
Edward, you have the ignition kill wire hooked to ground, so it appears, and would therefore have no spark. This wire needs to go to the key switch. The other wire (fused, as you put it) is the battery charging wire and goes to the solenoid on the post common to the battery cable that runs directly to the positive post on the battery.

Old 06-21-07, 04:54 AM
Thanks to all that replied to my call for help. I may have misled you in the problem. the lead I thought was ground goes to a block by the speed control. It seems to be insulated and I assume now that this is the kill wire that stops the engine, when you decrease the speed to extreeme low shorts it out. this is where I have the wire and the one to the start switch hooked up . I did however have the cover off the top of the engine and may have shorted out this wire to the engine . I will try to find this out today and get back to you with the results please stick with me till i get this solved thank you all.

Old 06-21-07, 08:14 AM
engine won't start

This morning I took off the cover and replaced the kill wire. Itried the spark plug outside the engine and checked for spark none tried a few more times and got spark. i trhen hooked up the spark plug that was in the mower it started right away. stoped and started it a few times thought the problem was solved. ate breakfast and went out to try it again no spark same routine was tried after a while got sopark the same thing started right up let it run for 5 min and it shut down ... any ideas anyone ???

Old 06-21-07, 12:08 PM
I think I would completely eliminate the kill wire (remove from coil) just to isolate the problem but like I said be ready to kill the engine another way.

Old 06-21-07, 03:04 PM
engine won't start

duigoose you were right the engine starts everytime now and i ran it for 30 min without it shutting down. Come to think about it that was how the engine i took out was acting. now what do we do to fix it so I can shut it off??? Could the problem be in the ignition switch itself I assume some how it is going to ground. when it should not.

Old 06-22-07, 02:05 AM
Somewhere on the chassis (frame) of the machine you will find an ID tag with the model and serial numbers, post back with these so that I can have a look at the wiring schematic and advise you better as to where you may have an issue with the kill circuit. Since, obviously, this is where your trouble lies, we need to determine how many and which wires/safety switches you need to look at for potential trouble.

Old 06-22-07, 06:46 AM
engine won't srart

It is a toro rear engine rider model #56-145, Ser#8005654. I hope this helps you to help me. I am retired and this realy helps what a great forum.

Old 06-22-07, 04:34 PM
Hopefully, you can read a wiring schematic, so copy and paste this link in another window and have a look and if you have any questions post back.
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=1&in_hi_userid=19462&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=214&PageID=238#drawingDiagramPage