Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil leak from valve cover

06-20-07, 11:20 PM   #1  
Oil leak from valve cover

Hello everyone,
I am having some trouble with my lawn mower, it is scotts brand with the Briggs and Stratton 6.5 HP OHV. I noticed leak comming from the valve cover, so I replaced the gasket and thought that my trouble is over, boy was I wrong. This is my fourth try and it is still leaking like crazy. It takes a little time after it gets worm and then it starts leaking from the the lower bolt. Is it the breather assemly? and how can I check it. Anybody had similar problem? Other than that the mower starts on first or second pull.

Thanks Plesoun

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-21-07, 12:00 AM   #2  
The valve cover is just stamped out of thin metal right? It could be bent, or have a wrinkle in it, or the head could have a milling mark or defect that is allowing it to leak. You might try adding some silicone sealant to the gasket to help seal any irregulrities.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-21-07, 02:06 AM   #3  
The rocker (valve, as you put it) attaches to a base plate which in turn mounts to the cylinder head. There is a gasket related to this plate and this is the likely area of leakage. Did you replace the rocker cover gasket with a genuine Briggs part?

Search this Thread