Not Charging

Old 08-28-07, 12:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not Charging

Have Craftsman 22hp 50" cut lawn tractor. I've had this mower for two years without any problems. However, just a few days ago I had to replace the battery, as the mower would not start. So, all was good for a day or so, now the battery is DEAD. I have to jump the mower to get it started. The ammeter guage stays on 0 when running, but when the PTO button is engage for the blades, the ammeter shows an immediate negative.

I've checked the wiring diagrams on Sears website, but I'm not sure how the system recharges the battery.

Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to have to buy another mower, as i have 7 acres to deal with.

Old 08-28-07, 03:43 PM
Could be a bad battery but it sounds like a bad alternator which you will need an amp meter or something to check to see if current is getting to the battery after the engine is started.

Old 08-28-07, 05:55 PM
what engine do you have

What engine is in your Craftsman? Need some numbers from the engine. Most of these later models engines have a regulator on the side of the housing. If you have a good volt meter you can test the two outside terminals on the regulator for AC voltage. The center terminal needs 12 volts from the ignition switch to turn the regulator on when the engine is running. With out the 12 volts to the center terminal you will not get any output even if you have AC voltage on the outside terminals. I have assumed that the engine in your mower is a Kohler. With the engine numbers I can verify the type of regulator that the engine is using. Most tractors that come into our shop have corroded terminals on the ignition switch that will not allow the 12 volts to turn on the regulator. Good Luck

Old 08-29-07, 10:41 AM
E
Cool RE: Not charging

The engine is a 22hp Briggs & Stratton ELS725. The Model number of the mower is 917.276052.

I'm assuming the item you spoke of, the REGULATOR, is on the left side of the engine and has red and yellow wires going into it. It also looks as if it has plastic or rubber in it to sheild the wires. If so, I unplugged those wires and the lawnmower cranked while being jumped. While unplugged there was no change in the ammeter and still none when plugged back in.

The only change is when the PTO is engaged for the blades and that causes an immediate negative charge.

I used to run a Small Engine repair shop years ago with my Brother. However, that was BEFORE the electronics played a major role in the small engine. You know, points and all, tune ups, etc...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: