Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homelite xl 76 hard starting

06-23-07, 08:34 AM   #1  
Homelite xl 76 hard starting

I've got an xl 76 Homelite chainsaw that gives me blisters before it starts. It seems to have way too much compression, for the size of the saw. Once it starts it runs fine. I thought it was in the pull start but when I remove the plug it operates normally. I checked the spark arrester and cleaned it, it looks like the saw had been running a bit rich. I am actually borrowing the saw from a neighbour who has owned it since new. If anyone has any ideas what I should be looking at. Is there anything that could specifically be causing the saw to have overly high compression. Any assistance would be appreciated by the three blisters on my right hand...thanks in advance to any who reply

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-24-07, 12:16 AM   #2  
Sounds like it may be flooding while it is not running. The fuel in the engine could cause the higher compression (liquid doesn't compress). Does it turn much easier once it's warmed up?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-24-07, 07:55 AM   #3  
Cheese I believe You're Right.

This saw does flood, I took the spark arrester apart and cleaned it and it too showed signs of running too rich. I've looked for a manual to see what adjustments are required but I've been unable to locate one. Homelite doesn't even list this UT50108 model. There are two small adjustment screws for air fuel mixture. But I'm not sure exactly how these are too be adjusted. I was hoping someone could share their wisdom, or point me in the direction of a manual for this saw. Thanks Cheese I appreciate your feed back.

NY

06-24-07, 03:31 PM   #4  
It sounds as though that the carburetor is dumping fuel at rest which would require you to recondition the carburetor using an OE (original eqipment) rebuild kit. Post back with the make, model and serial of the carburetor.

06-24-07, 07:35 PM   #5  
Made Some adjustments, It's Much Better...

Made some adjustments to the carb, seems the gentleman who owns the saw my neighbour Thought that adjusting the high and low settings to the closed positions would stop his flooding problems. Unfortunately he forgot about doing this...I got the machine running and adjusted until it sounded like it should run both at idle and at high speed. Now the saw starts after being run with one pull. Puey61, This machine is an XL 76 ut50108, I"m not familiar where the serial number for the carb is located. I've also noticed that Homelite does not include this ut number in their listings. I haven't had any luck locating parts for this machine...but if you've got an idea where a carb kit can be located I think it would be a good idea. I had to replace the fuel line because it turned to soup...as far as I'm aware this machine has never been touched. Thanks for all who reply.

NY

06-25-07, 02:27 AM   #6  
You'll have to remove the carburetor to find the make, model and serial numbers and most any chainsaw shop should have the correct rebuild kit available. The carb is either, likely, a Walbro or a Zama carburetor and make some calls, locally, to see who carries your particular brand of carb parts. Furthermore, upon removal of the carburetor and if you ruin the carb mounting gasket you will need to replace this as well and you'll have the best results in finding this in an aftermarket part by one of the three major players in aftermarket parts...Oregon, Stens and Rotary, if you don't have a local Homelite shop, that is.

Search this Thread