Where can I get a "real" carb for my B&S?

Old 06-23-07, 09:18 AM
Cool Where can I get a "real" carb for my B&S?

In the last three years I have purchased two push mowers with B&S 158cc engines. Both experience the same behavior. The automatic throttle governor drives me crazy! The engines constantly sound like they want to stall, then they speed up again.
Is there an improved spring kit that would help with this?
Or is there a carburetor with a real throttle control that will work with this engine?

Thanks in advance!

--Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-07, 09:57 AM
Mark,please reply back with the model & type numbers of your engine where we can look it up and see what series you have and what kind of carburetor your talking about and we we be able to better give you something to go on.

Old 06-24-07, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That surging is due to a carburetor restriction...trash or water in the carb.

Old 07-03-07, 07:32 PM
Exclamation here's the specs

Briggs and Stratton 158cc Family 3BSXS.1581VG
Ser Num? 275738

Old 07-04-07, 03:03 AM
The numbers you posted are only government related emissions identification not useful for us. You will see a model, a type and a code number stamped into the flywheel shroud that we'll need.

Old 09-26-07, 01:42 PM
Your Diaphram is leaking...........

The words you never want to hear from your girl friend....but you will from your local small engin repair shop. If it like mine, The POS briggs plastic carb uses a diaphram to control fuel flow, not a needle.......that together with crude and these engines will never run as they did new. I replaced the diaphram and it lasted about 9 months...now the surge again!

Old 09-26-07, 03:53 PM
Personaly I like the B&S with the plastic carb, carb setting on the tank, people buy them, the diaphgram dries out, they disguard them as junk, I pick them up and install $3.00 495770 diaphgram in about 15 minutes and have a mower that runs like or better than when bought new, for sale. A throttle control can be attached to the same carb, you just need to bend the tab up that stops the throttle clntrol from moving, it is bent down just bend it up out of the way. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-27-07, 06:30 AM
New model info

Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
The numbers you posted are only government related emissions identification not useful for us. You will see a model, a type and a code number stamped into the flywheel shroud that we'll need.
10H902 0216 E1 04030156

Sorry about the delay.
Thanks for any help.

Old 09-27-07, 09:51 AM
rcflyer620;
Go to your local small engine shop and get diaphram kit #495770 or at Lowe's they have the kit at either 495770 or 583. Remove the air cleaner, remove the 2 fuel tank bolts, one 3/8, one 1/2, slowly slide the carb off the intake and crankcase breather tube, now tilt the carb/tank inward and down to diaengage the governor control arm, now remove the carb/tank. Remove the carb from the tank(5 screws), remove the screen and clean it, using a small screwdriver pry the main jet from the stem(on reassemble it takes some pressure to snap it back in place)spray all holes,cracks and crevases on the carb and tank using carb cleaner/brake parts cleaner(I use both, carb cleaner first and then brake parts to remove the carb cleaner residue), put the main jet in, put the screen on. Set the diaphgram on the tank, the gasket on the diaphgram, the carb on the casket(careful not to loose the diaphgram spring)align the diaphgram,gasket,carb holes and put in the screws, put the tank back on the mower per reverse of removal and your done. Have a good one. Geo