Tecumseh OH 140 160027E problems

Old 06-23-07, 01:10 PM
Tecumseh OH 140 160027E problems

Hey all...needing a little help. I have a Bolens 1463 lawn tractor with a Tecumseh OH 140 engine. Recently while I was mowing it just died on me and will not restart. The spark plug was replaced...and am currently getting spark, fuel pump was cleaned as was the carb. It turns over just fine but never starts nor does it sound like it wants to. I took off the piston cover and discovered that one of the pistons was no longer under it's rocker arm/cup. Now my friends tell me that the displacement is off, I have a service manual for this truck and it tells me the displacement is 23.7 /388.4 but I have no clue how to do this adjustment. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks-Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-07, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brian,

Sorry, but it's hard for me to figure out what it is that you're talking about. I'd like to help, but your terminology is incorrect. I'll assume you mean you removed the valve cover, and one of the push rods is not under the rocker arm? If this is what you mean, you'll need to check the valves to be sure they aren't stuck, and then make sure the push rod isn't bent, and reset the valve clearances. There is no way to adjust the displacement, and that has nothing to do with the valves, push rods, or rocker arms.

If this isn't what you meant, let us know.

Old 06-26-07, 07:41 AM
yes, that is exactly what I am trying to get accrossed. How do I go about doing this?

Old 06-27-07, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you own a set of feeler guages?

Old 06-29-07, 09:22 AM
yes sir I do. what next

Old 06-30-07, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rotate the engine to top dead center, and using the proper feeler guage, set the valve clearances (the space between the rocker arm and the valve stem). I don't have the specs on hand, but can get them for you if needed, or you can probably google it and get them online.