Craftsman 4.5HP Lawn Mower

Old 06-23-07, 08:22 PM
Unhappy Craftsman 4.5HP Lawn Mower

I have a Craftsman 4.5HP push lawn mower that I bought 3 years ago. I have replaced the air filter and spark plug yesterday, but it did not solve my problem. When I start the lawn mower, it will run and cut my lawn for a few minutes then it will shut off. Each time I start the mower, I will cut for a few mnutes and then it dies again. What do you think the problem is? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-07, 08:28 PM
If you will post the Model, Type and Code numbers we can help, they are stamped on the engine cover. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-24-07, 08:57 AM
After re-reading your post it sounds like the gas cap is not venting, try running it with the gas cap loose. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-24-07, 12:39 PM
Craftsman 4.5HP

Thanks Geo, I will try this out later today and see if this solves my problem. Here are the numbers in case you think of a different solution than what was previously stated. I will let you know if your solution helps. I appreciate the assistance.

Make: Craftsman 4.5HP 22" Mulcher / Eager-1
Model: 143.034502
DOM: 03262CE0867
Engine Family: 3TPXS.1481BA
DISP: 148cc

Old 06-24-07, 02:47 PM
Your fuel cap should have an aluminum splash guard and a special rubber gasket that provides proper fuel cap venting. If you see these missing then they're probably in the tank and need to be removed and you need to replace the cap with Tecumseh part number 37845.

Old 06-25-07, 07:05 AM
Craftsman 4.5HP

Thank you Puey61. The splash guard is on the cap. I even tried running the lawn mower without the cap to see if it will make a difference but it did not. I will take the fuel tank apart and see if there is something blocking the fuel distribution. I appreciate the insight.

Old 06-25-07, 07:19 PM
The "few minutes" of run time is odd. That is why we suggested the fuel cap and since this is not your trouble then I'd have a look at the flywheel brake control cable (the cable related to the bale lever you pull back before you can start the mower) for a possible partial pull and as you use it and vibration affects the slack of such it is allowed to return just enough for the kill circuit to activate (which along with the braking action is the other purpose of the brake control). I've had luck with drilling a new hole for the cable mount to attach to the handlebar slightly further away from the bale lever so that it gets a full pull. Be sure to drill so that you still maintain a bit of slack in the cable so that you get a full release along with the full pull.

Old 06-26-07, 06:44 AM
Smile

Thanks. I will look at the flywheel brake control cable. I have no problem redrilling a hole 1 to 1.5" above the existing hole to get more pull. I will try that also and see if that will help. I appreciate it and I will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-26-07, 05:10 PM
dead man's bail

i bet the cable that is hooked onto the dead man's bale is stretching
and shutting it off??

Old 06-26-07, 05:15 PM
Good afternoon puey61, I drilled a new hole for the fly wheel cable and the engine continues to cut off after 40 seconds...this is with a 1/2 tank and a full tank of gas. Do you have anyother suggestions that would solve this problem? Your thoughts?

Old 06-26-07, 05:18 PM
I looked at the cable and it appears to be in good condition. Once it is pulled, there is not that much slack left. Even when I drilled the new hole to create more tension, the problem still persists.

Originally Posted by shelbyscott View Post
i bet the cable that is hooked onto the dead man's bale is stretching
and shutting it off??

Old 06-27-07, 03:07 AM
I would think it is a fuel starvation issue then but you need to check the ignition first to rule this out as a possible problem. As soon as your trouble surfaces remove the spark plug, place the plug back in the plug wire, rest (ground) the plug to the cylinder head, crank the engine over and inspect for spark at the electrode (of the plug). Having a second person handy to make the spark check to be able to pull the bale lever and crank the engine over and you can watch for spark at the plug. If spark, you most likely have a carburetor in need of reconditioning. If no spark, post back and we'll lead you in the right direction for diagnosing for a possible faulty ignition coil.

Old 10-16-08, 11:47 AM
same problem

i have the same problem, but when i press the primer ball it keeps running, any help. thanks

Old 10-16-08, 12:11 PM
Expanding Due to Heat?

I had the same problem, and my solution was indeed the missing vent guard inside the gas cap.

But in looking for a solution, I became aware that sometimes the issue can be one of expansion of metal components due to heat. Go around to everything you can see and tighten every nut and screw. If there is a place where two components within any part of the fuel delivery system meet with a loose connection, the expansion when heated can cause a larger gap, thereby letting too much air in, and causing a stall.

Old 10-16-08, 12:27 PM
fixed

i found this on a site, remove the nut from the bottom of the gas bowl, ( 1/2 " )there are a couple of holes on that bolt clean them out, i used a piano wire and air, started up and keeps running, tried on the grass keeps going.