Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trimmer dies when I apply gas

06-25-07, 06:35 AM   #1  
Trimmer dies when I apply gas

Good Morning
I am struggling at maintaining my trimmer is good working condition. I have a Troybuilt (31 cc) trimmer that dies once I push the throttle. It starts with ease,but once I begin appying some gas to it it quikly dies. I have re-mixed the gas/oil mix to make sure I wasn't off but it continues with the same problem. The trimmer is about a year old and has always worked well.

Please help

Thank you
John

Sponsored Links

WI

06-25-07, 09:24 AM   #2  
Some of these new carbs on these units have carbs that you can not service without the proper drivers to fit the adjustment screws. It will have to go to a service shop.

If it has the plastic limiter caps you can try the following. On a this type of carb is real touchy for the least bit of dirt or varnish in the fuel port. The "H" side needle screw is too lean and needs to be turned out to allow more fuel to flow and/or cleaned back into to the fuel cavity. Usually you remove the caps on both needle screws and you can remove them. Keep track on which screw was in which hole in the carb. I spray choke cleaner into each hole for cleaning. Then reinstall the screws. I usually will back them out 1-1/4 turn from snug for starting. The high speed "H" needle is the furthest needle from the engine and will need to be turned out gradually to get your high speed. Sometimes the "L" screw will need a slight adjustment out also.

The manufacturer is trying to prevent the average customer from working on their own equipment that has been set to meet emmission requirements and many have gone to the new adjustment screws.

The best thing is to running them out of fuel when you are done using them and not going to use for several weeks, especially between seasons.

Search this Thread